How to crimp RCA connectors onto RG59 coax

Hi all,

Clueless newbie here.

I have bought a load of crimp on RCA connectors. These ones in fact:

formatting link

I have also bought a rachet crimp for fitting them.

My problem is that I'm not sure how to go about it. I've looked on the web and the few guides I've found show an inner sheath that must first be crimped onto the inner core before it is inserted into the connector. However, the ones I bought have no such bits (see link above)

Also, the connectors have a small hole in the end, such that I can push the inner core right through if I strip it back enough. This makes me think that I must be doing something wrong, as there seems to be no solid connection with the inner core, and I worry about the lack of apparent insulation between the inner core, and the outer sheath of the connector which you wrap the braid around.

Also, if you look at the picture above, the collar is a fair bit shorter than the outer sheath of the connector. I am confused as to where exactly I am supposed to crimp the collar. Does it crimp purely over the braid and dielectric, or am I supposed to get some over the outer insulation too?

Help!

Sorry for the newbie questions

Reply to
listerofsmeg01
Loading thread data ...

Ok.. from the picture, it appears that these are a hybrid crimp/solder connector.

I would try this:

strip the jacket/shield so that the dielectric/center core extend the length of the connector past the end of the tip. (you will trim later.) You want enough so that you can poke the center conductor out the hole, before slipping the shield over the crimp nipple.

test fit to see how far the dielectric can be pushed into the connector, and leave that much dielectric on the cable, stripping the rest.

slide the sleeve over the cable, and then strip the jacket for slightly less than the length of the crimp. for extra neatness, add a sleeve of heat shrink tubing to cover the completed crimp. use a piece at least twice as long as the crimp.

slide the center core/dielectric into the connector, poking the core out thru the hole, sliding the shield over the crimp nipple until the shield is flush with the rear of the connector. you will want to fan the shield slightly, but do not unravel it. crimp the sleeve.

solder the center conductor, allowing the solder to flow down the center conductor until the hole is filled. don't use too much. trim the excess.

once you get the hang of one, you can probably do them production line style.. prep, assemble/crimp, solder.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.