How long can a cable be

I have to connect 4 3com superstack switches as one unit. 3 of them are standing in a patch room (no problems) but the fourth one a have to take to a another level in the building. Witch cable do I use (cat5,cat6 or fiber or ????) and how many meters may this cable be?

Thanks Crack4u systemengineer

Reply to
crack4u
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like someone should do some reading on network basics. The maximum run for a cable is 100 M. Any patch cords must be included in that length.

Reply to
James Knott

You can use a extension cord. Cut the ends off of it, and solder RJ45s to the 14 gauage wire. Make sure you use Radio Shack solder too. Also, I prefer to use orange colored extension cords.

LOL

No, just kidding. Anything over 328 feet use fiber...else Cat 5e

Reply to
Perkowski

No, just kidding. Anything over 328 feet use fiber...else Cat 5e

Actually, the 328 foot limitation goes for fiber as well if it is used as a horizontal link. It is only up to 2Km if it is used as a backbone.

Reply to
Justin Time

???

The 100 metre (328") limit on cat 5, is due to signalling limitations, in that the signal will deteriorate too much beyond that. Back in the days of

10base2 and 10base5, the distances, over coax, were significantly greater. Why would fibre be limited to 100 M?
Reply to
James Knott

Ya I know. But it will still work over 328 regardless, even though it isnt EIA/TIA spec.

Reply to
Perkowski

The 100 Meter limit is a Standard based length that represents the lowest common demoninator of the manufactures involved in the standards creation proccess. As for the techincal limit, I've seen a 100MB link work on Cat5 at 425 feet and know of a 100MB link running on Cat6 at 630 feet. I don't know where the actual drop off is for when a given ethernet link will drop connection based on length. As for the fiber limit of 100 meteres, this applies only to horizontal cable and was chosen so that the fiber and copper standards were similar in the horizontal, not from a particular technical stand point (as far as I know).

Reply to
jtodd5 dot 1

yep you write but i'm at cheapter 5 and I think this is standing in cheapter 9 or so :)

But thnx all foor the answers

Reply to
crack4u

Reply to
Mark J

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.