How long can a cable be

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View


I have to connect 4 3com superstack switches as one unit. 3 of them
are standing in a patch room (no problems) but the fourth one a have
to take to a another level in the building. Witch cable do I use
(cat5,cat6 or fiber or ????) and how many meters may this cable be?

Thanks
Crack4u
systemengineer


Re: How long can a cable be


crack4u wrote:

> I have to connect 4 3com superstack switches as one unit. 3 of them
> are standing in a patch room (no problems) but the fourth one a have
> to take to a another level in the building. Witch cable do I use
> (cat5,cat6 or fiber or ????) and how many meters may this cable be?

It sounds like someone should do some reading on network basics.  The
maximum run for a cable is 100 M.  Any patch cords must be included in that
length.


Re: How long can a cable be


> crack4u wrote:
>
> > I have to connect 4 3com superstack switches as one unit. 3 of them
> > are standing in a patch room (no problems) but the fourth one a have
> > to take to a another level in the building. Witch cable do I use
> > (cat5,cat6 or fiber or ????) and how many meters may this cable be?
>
> It sounds like someone should do some reading on network basics.  The
> maximum run for a cable is 100 M.  Any patch cords must be included in that
> length.

yep you write but i'm at cheapter 5 and I think this is standing in
cheapter 9 or so :)

But thnx all foor the answers


Re: How long can a cable be


crack4u wrote:
> I have to connect 4 3com superstack switches as one unit. 3 of them
> are standing in a patch room (no problems) but the fourth one a have
> to take to a another level in the building. Witch cable do I use
> (cat5,cat6 or fiber or ????) and how many meters may this cable be?
>
> Thanks
> Crack4u
> systemengineer


You can use a extension cord.  Cut the ends off of it, and solder RJ45s
to the 14 gauage wire.  Make sure you use Radio Shack solder too.  Also,
I prefer to use orange colored extension cords.

LOL

No, just kidding.  Anything over 328 feet use fiber...else Cat 5e



Re: How long can a cable be


No, just kidding.  Anything over 328 feet use fiber...else Cat 5e


Actually, the 328 foot limitation goes for fiber as well if it is used
as a horizontal link.  It is only up to 2Km if it is used as a backbone.



Re: How long can a cable be


Justin Time wrote:

> No, just kidding.  Anything over 328 feet use fiber...else Cat 5e
>
>
> Actually, the 328 foot limitation goes for fiber as well if it is used
> as a horizontal link.  It is only up to 2Km if it is used as a backbone.

???

The 100 metre (328") limit on cat 5, is due to signalling limitations, in
that the signal will deteriorate too much beyond that.  Back in the days of
10base2 and 10base5, the distances, over coax, were significantly greater.
Why would fibre be limited to 100 M?



Re: How long can a cable be


James Knott wrote:
> Justin Time wrote:
>
>
>>No, just kidding.  Anything over 328 feet use fiber...else Cat 5e
>>
>>
>>Actually, the 328 foot limitation goes for fiber as well if it is used
>>as a horizontal link.  It is only up to 2Km if it is used as a backbone.
>
>
> ???
>
> The 100 metre (328") limit on cat 5, is due to signalling limitations, in
> that the signal will deteriorate too much beyond that.  Back in the days of
> 10base2 and 10base5, the distances, over coax, were significantly greater.
> Why would fibre be limited to 100 M?
>

The 100 Meter limit is a Standard based length that represents the lowest
common demoninator of the manufactures involved in the standards creation
proccess.  As for the techincal limit, I've seen a 100MB link work on Cat5
at 425 feet and know of a 100MB link running on Cat6 at 630 feet.  I don't
know where the actual drop off is for when a given ethernet link will drop
connection based on length.
As for the fiber limit of 100 meteres, this applies only to horizontal
cable and was chosen so that the fiber and copper standards were similar in
the horizontal, not from a particular technical stand point (as far as I know).


Re: How long can a cable be


Justin Time wrote:
> No, just kidding.  Anything over 328 feet use fiber...else Cat 5e
>
>
> Actually, the 328 foot limitation goes for fiber as well if it is used
> as a horizontal link.  It is only up to 2Km if it is used as a backbone.
>


Ya I know.  But it will still work over 328 regardless, even though it
isnt EIA/TIA spec.


Re: How long can a cable be


If you're going from the patch room to the wall plate, I think the actual
physical max length to meet standard  for Cat 5 is about 90 meters for the
run from the room to the outlet; the other 10 meters is to allow for patch
cables at each end.  You can get away with a little more if you don't have
that long of patch cables to use.
But if you can afford to, use fiber...it'll save trouble in the long run
when you upgrade.
>I have to connect 4 3com superstack switches as one unit. 3 of them
> are standing in a patch room (no problems) but the fourth one a have
> to take to a another level in the building. Witch cable do I use
> (cat5,cat6 or fiber or ????) and how many meters may this cable be?
>
> Thanks
> Crack4u
> systemengineer




Site Timeline