Home Network Run Issue - Unsure next step

Just had a guy run my house with Cat5e.

I was expecting to get this:

formatting link
I got this:
formatting link
Aka - I wanted patch panel, instead they're just punched down to a board.

My plan was like this...

Cable modem --> router --> down to panel --> switch --> other outlets

So now what? Do I have to rip out the punch board and get a panel in there, or is there some work around that I am totally not thinking of....?

-H

Reply to
Holly
Loading thread data ...

Since the picture you post is of the "Bridged Telephone Exapnsion Module" and you want to use Ethernet, yes, this board is totally wrong for you.

You need to specify to the cable pullers what you want. Cat5 is typically run for either phone or data. He guessed one, you wanted the other.

Yes, you'll have to pull all the wire off the telephone bridge module and punch it onto a patch panel module. There's no way to make the bridge telephone board work for data.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Yes, the picture wasn't *exactly* what he used, but was basically a punch down instead of a panel. I went over it in my head a billion times to figure out how I could rig it as is-- but I'm just going to break down and have him take the punch off and put in the panel. Or I'm just going to do it myself, since sometimes, that's all you can do...

Thanks again, H

Reply to
Holly

New panels are expensive. I found used ones at hamfests, but for a small number of jacks, there's another way.

Use a 4 or 6 port wallplate and put keystones in. [You can even go quadbox & a 12 port plate.] This has the advantage of being closed up. I'm using it for a location in a child's closet.

Reply to
David Lesher

That's basically how Leviton does it. You plug 12 of their standard CAT5 jacks into a black strip of metal that mounts on a standard 66M block frame.

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.