fiber help needed please.

hi i wonder if someone could make a recommendation please. I work in a school i have a comms cabinet with cat5 cabling and fiber installed which has been working fine. Workmen have been and installed a new comms cabinet in another part of the building, they have put a fiber link between the two.

In the new cabinet i have a fiber patch panel that links to the main cab and i have cat 5 pactch panels, i know i need to install switches to patch the cat 5 cable into to get the wall sockets working and i have some spare 10/100 switches for this. My problem is the fiber?!?!?! What the heck do i need, i know i need to patch the fiber in at both ends and there is a fiber switch in the main cab but what do i need to put in the new one. The workmen werent to helpful and wouldnt even leave fiber patch leads.

I dont know what i need to connect this new cab to the main network. any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Regards phil sigley

Reply to
phil sigley
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, Those media converters will either be singlemode, or multimode depending on what type of fiber they installed. And knowing the type of connectors they used is important when ordering the converters as well. And don't hold a grudge against the installers for not giving up some fiber patch cords; Those things are expensive!

Reply to
C7

Good choice, fiber.

I suppose that if you want them to do the job for you they would be willing to bid for it. But they aren't going to give it all away for free. 8-)

You'll need to be a little more specific on what equipment is installed in the main cabinet. But gererically speaking, you'll need what is called a "media converter" which will convert a 10BaseT or 100BaseTX ethernet signal into a fiber signal compatible with the corresponding port on the fiber switch you have in the maion cabinet.

You then connect the RJ45 side of the mdeia converter to a port on the switch in the remote cabinet and you're all connected.

Like I said, you'll need to be a little more specific regarding what you currently have and make sure what you buy is going to work.

Maybe those cabling guys should bid on the job after all......

John

-- John P. Dearing A+, Network+ To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-)

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Yet another low-bid no-architect-attention school job?

As pointed out by other posters here you'd need a pair of fiber transceivers or media converters (one for each end of the cable). Make sure the connectors on the transceivers you buy match those you'll get on your fiber patch cords.

Check with the bid specs: if the fiber patch cords (or maybe the transceivers or even a pair of fiber-enabled switches!) were mentioned there, you can easily get them from the contractor. If they have just left the site chances are they haven't been paid in full. Therefore you can literally stop the payment until you get the equipment needed to meet the specs.

Better yet, call the architect up and have them go after the contractor. After all, your school district (handsomely) paid them to design AND oversee the project, which I have a feeling they didn't do well.

Both specs and the architect's contacts should be available at your school district's purchasing dept.

Good luck!

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.