Direct Termination or Splicing Termination ?

Id pull 2 - 48 strand fiber cables. One to the 5th floor, and the other to the 15th floor. Distribute from the 5th floor for floors 1-10, and distribute from the 15th floor for floors 10-20. Youll get better performace with fusion splicing, but, if you dont have access to a fusion splicer you can still mechanical splice.

My 2 cents...

Reply to
Perkowski
Loading thread data ...

Hi Adam,

First and foremost just two strands of fiber per floor are not going to cut it. I do not know the sizes of the floors, but it sounds like a large enough structure to me. Especially considering that you made cost a second priority, I would pull 12 strands or at the very least 6 to each floor. You won't know how to thank yourself enough just couple years from now when different departments and tenants will start competing for that fiber capacity. Given enough budget, you cannot go wrong with some extra capacity.

Pull a separate cable to every floor. It makes administration easier and provides for greater reliability as well as performance, your #1 priority.

Looks like fusion splicing with factory-made pigtails is the way to go because of the high performance concern as well as the dust from the construction. If that stretches your budget too far, you can compromise: fusion splice all closets but MDF, and then seal the MDF off of the dust and do terminations there. Multimode terminations are piece of cake, not matter what termination technology you use, so you can save yourself $10-$15 per fiber by not buying the pigtail for the MDF end, depending on your local prices.

Good luck!

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Appreciate anyone can advise which termination is better - Direct termination or Splicing termination for scenario below.

Where can I find the comparison information such as advantage and disadvantages, signal loss ?

Building: new, 20 floors Each floor: 2 pair of fiber optic terminations End termination: collapse at data center at 15 floor Cable type: multimode 50/125um Connector: SC coupler Performance - first priority, costing/time - second. Environment: Rooms still under renovation, so there are still dust around, but termination work needs to go ahead.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Reply to
adam97

Also, a number of manufactures have preconnectorized cable available. You just tell them what length and what type of cable, and it come all prepared , including the pulling sock to protect the connectors during installation.

Reply to
jtodd5 dot 1

If you really don't want to do splicing and termination's on each floor, you can make custom lengths of cable for each floor, pre terminated on one end. Pull in from each floor closet to the MDF. This often gives you better quality termination's, as the termination equipment is only setup in the MDF. Only costs you some additional labor as you have to measure and make each length of cable. Since this presumably a straight vertical run, measurements should be easy.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

There have been several suggestions given already, but one other option to consider would be to use air blown fiber. Once the tubing infrastructure is in place, you can change fiber counts and even types quickly and fairly inexpensively.

It has been a couple of years since I looked into it, but if I remember correctly, one method will allow up to 6 individual strands in a 4 mm tube while the other will allow a 24 strand bundle in a 7 mm tube. Neither system is as low cost as a standard fiber installation, but then you don't have the flexibility of adding fiber or changing from multi to single mode at a later date with a hard count fiber cable. Airblown fiber is normally terminated with a fusion spliced pigtail.

Reply to
Justin Time

4mm and 7mm ? that's kinda tiny. It's a form factor I'm not familiar with but I admit I have only voyaristic experience with infrastructure fiber.
Reply to
Al Dykes

It's not how many degrees you bend the cable, it's the diameter of the bend that you have to watch.

Reply to
James Knott

Less than to worry about. But I do not know how future proof mechanical splices are 15 years from now.

The standard says 7.5 dB. In practice 10 dB. You will run into dispersion limitation long before you reach either figure unless you install your patch cords with sticky fingers. Within a single building, I have never seen any limitation apply.

A U-turn around your finger costs 3 dB with single-mode fiber. So what. Don't do anything to fiber you would not do to copper and you are fine.

Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

Thanks for all the advise. I'm new in this.

What level of signal loss should i expect from these various terminations - diecrt, fusion splicing, mechanical splicing ?

In general, what is the highest acceptable level of signal loss for 1 GE fibre bacbone ?

Is the bending (more than 45 degree) of the cable really crucial ?

Reply to
adam97

terminations -

Less than to worry about. But I do not know how future proof mechanical splices are 15 years from now.

Seeing how 50/125 fiber is being installed, it is doubtful it will be in use in 15 years. But as far as the longevity that can be expected out of mechanical splices, it depends. There are mechanical splices that have been in service on some direct burial cables for over 20 years with no real degradation. And, on the other hand there are fusion splices that have failed in a matter of weeks all because the installed failed to do something correctly.

Reply to
Justin Time

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.