daysi chain a block 66

How do i daisy chain a block 66? I have three different lines but want all

3 phones to be able to answer lines 1 and 2

Thanks

------------------------------------- cmarin21

Reply to
cmarin21
Loading thread data ...

This guy has some good pictures and descriptions.

formatting link

formatting link

(Note, you say 3 lines, but then 3 phones, so not sure if you mixed up lines and stations or not, but doesn't matter much either way. They do make 2-line phones that can answer either line, but I haven't seen a

3-line phone that isn't part of a PBX/keyset type setup).
Reply to
Doug McIntyre

cmarin21 wrote in part:

Daisy chaining is an undesireable inside wiring method where one station is wired to the next (maybe to save wire and certainly to reduce useability and reliability). The modern & preferred method is home run (star) wiring where all stations have their own cable back to a common point (head-end). This is where you put your 66 (or other) block. A block makes no sense in a true daisy-chain.

It depends somewhat on the type of 66 block you have. The most common (and preferred) type is 25pr 2+2 .

It has been a while, but ISTR: You punch all the service (incoming) lines down in proper order on the left side, and all the station lines on the right. Then use crossconnect on the inside teeth to loop the service around. If you have done your spacing properly, you can also use bridging clips.

The key for your "all three phones answer" is to loop the crossconnect from the inside teeth of incoming pair 1 to the inside teeth of pair 1 of station one, loop to pair 1 of station two loop to pair 1 of station three. Then either cutoff, or leave some extra neatly coiled if you suspect station four may soon be required.

The basic idea for all blocks is to properly terminate all fixed cables once and for all. Never touch again. Then run crossconnect to make the needed short-term or long term connections between cables. This is painfully obvious on 110 blocks where the fixed cables are slammed down.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

As Robert pointed out daisy chain is not a proper term here (general weirdness of the term aside) because you already have a central block all your cables go to. I assume they do otherwise there would probably be no question or it would be worded differently. Daisy chaining refers to cabling station 3 from station2, station 2 from station 1 - a very bad (i.e. inflexible) practice indeed.

I just wanted to mention that to implement Robert's instructions you'll need a 66-type punch tool *without* the blade. If you got your punch down tool in HD or Lowes and did not get extra blades, you've probably gotten a blade that has 110-type on one side and 66-type on the other but both have blades. The blade will obviously cut your cross-connect wire at the first punch and you won't be able to connect those stations together in parallel.

You can still use bladed 66-type tool if your 66 block has 4 connected contacts per row, not the more common 2+2. You'll use 18 rows then: 4 per each station and 6 for the incoming lines (though I could not get from your post what you want to do with Line 3, so you may need 2 more rows for that). This is where description gets really complicated without an illustration (picture worth 1000 words). Try it, it will most likely be self-evident if you have all the right parts. If not, post here if you need better description, I'll try to draw it up

------------------------------------- Best Regards, Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

formatting link
Cabling Guide, Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for premises cabling users and pros

Reply to
Dmitri(cabling-Design.com

Sorry I meant two lines....three phones.

------------------------------------- cmarin21

Reply to
cmarin21

------------------------------------- Access Cabling & Communications

formatting link
(__) (oo) /-------/ / | || * ||----|| ~~ ~~

Reply to
guido.ceo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.