crudely detecting/measuring digital video

Is there a safe way (not shorting out the conductors) of either detecting or crudely measuring a digital video signal? I've got an analog signal strength meter, but it won't register anything with a satellite signal at a jack. How about an LED? Milliamp meter with diode? A squeeky rat and a couple well placed electrodes? Thanks, Greg

Reply to
darknesslite
Loading thread data ...

The ideal method is a field-strength meter. Whatever you use would need to apply the appropriate DC bias to the cable's center conductor (required to fire up the satellite dish's LNB).

This is not a cheap instrument, and it requires some skill to use properly. Even used units can run a couple of hundred, and new ones bear a four-figure price tag.

I have seen what look like relatively inexpensive handheld units used by sat-TV techs. They appear to be designed to give a quick-and- dirty "Do I have a signal?" reading. I have no idea how reliable they are, but I suspect you're still going to end up shelling out at least $100 or so.

Happy hunting.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.