CAT6 HOME WIRING

I have 20 home run cat6 wires in my basement. I was planning to connect all 20 cables to a patch panel, 4 of the 20 cables will dedicated for voice. In order to get voice I was planning to use cat

5e wire and connected one end to the patch panel and and the other to a punch down panel, which will be connected to the telephone interface device (via 5e cabling) on the outside. Just was wondering if this setup (interface device --->punch down panel ---->patch panel---
existing home runs---->telephone jack--->telephone) will pose a

problem. Thanks

Reply to
tomwesnick
Loading thread data ...

Glen Note sure what you mean by "not satisfy Cat6 or Cat5e".

Reply to
tomwesnick

It might not satisfy Cat6 or Cat5e but it will be fine for voice use.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

It is not easy to tell from your description, but to be Cat6 it should be Cat6 all the way through. Also, if there are too many punch downs along the way, it also might not satisfy Cat6.

But there is no reason voice wiring should be Cat6, so I don't know why you ask about it. If you later need the wires for data, rewire them as data without any extra punch down points.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.