CAT5 25 pair and 66M or 110 blocks

I think he was talking about my redneck comment. Of course, I could have called them dumb asses, but then PETA would object to my anamorphic comparison. Ya can't win fer loosin'

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy
Loading thread data ...

O.K. This thread is still pathetic and what reference can you cite for your information? I have several for mine.

Do you understand about the SIX binders? The jacket keeps Cat-5e cables together so some idiot doesn't peel the pairs, the binders do the same thing. Oh, I'm new at this. I've never seen 24 pair Cat-5e cable before......LOL

I was beginning to wonder if you plan on running 1000 feet of 100 base-T.

Yep, just cite your reference.

No, not at all, but you must be either dense or running out of things to do. The OB suggestion of what you can do with your project gets inserted here. I think it's running 5-1 against you at this time. Respond to all of us and show us where we're wrong.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

I think you lost track of what the original question was. NOTHING you are saying addresses it. You simply repeated what a novice should already know. Perhaps if you could stop pathetictizing issues that are not germaine to the OP and contribute to the original question.

The questions was, does removing the twisted pairs (but leaving them still twisted) when punching them down on a 66M Cat5 rated or 110 block affect data integrity?

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Trust me...pull fiber its your only hope....

Joe Perkowski

Reply to
Perkowski

Many do not. And frankly, you appeared to be one, or more specifically a cabler with minimal dcom experience. We do not know how much you know. Everyone has to earn their stripes. Nor can beggars be choosers.

AFAIK, there is no definitive answer to this question. Maintaining pair twist is obviously necessary. Maintaing pair layout is far from obvious.

I wouldn't worry much _except_ if breaking the binders allowed pairs to come into closer proximity than the binders prevented. There are only so many different slews, and this makes making a 25pr cable very tough. I strongly suspect that some pairs are identically twisted, at least over short lengths. Allowing these short lengths in close proximity will degrade signal.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Appearances are deceiving, especially after being in the telecom biz almost 30 years.

It was merely curious question that I was pondering. That's the best answer I've hear, short of actually trying some field comparisons.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Sigh,

Actually I did address it, but the truth is, 5e riser cable may not look like 6 Cat-5e separate cables after all. See:

formatting link
I would never try to terminate Cat-5 or higher cable on a 66 block as a general rule because it leaves you with more separated pairs and it takes way too much more time. You have to bring the pairs in between the pins, and terminate one wire up and one wire down. Since you have a horrible mess, you end up only being able to do one pair at a time, meanwhile I only have to use a thumbnail to split the pair enough to fan it into the frame on a 110 block and I can fan the entire row in at once and multi-cut with 5 punches. You only have about 4 inches of twists to deal with, but don't EVER buy a Leviton( and maybe Avaya) 110 block if you're terminating 25 pair because they don't have holes in the center :-)

The last time I actually ran multi-pair Cat5 was probably back in the days before 5e. It's just not a spec that matters since data between closets is usually done in fiber or as a pair of Cat-5e runs. I don't remember if we had to test closet-to-closet and that was at least 15 years ago

And the exact answer is "It Depends(tm)" Just like anything else, you can install it poorly and not have it work. All of that exposed cable gives you a better chance to affect the data, but you'll know that when you test it.

Now that Time Worthless has my cable modem back on line, let's see if this sends......

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Not unless you force them to. Autonegotiation does *not* test the link, so if the transceivers at each end support 100 Mb, they'll negotiate to run at 100 Mb even if the cable between them isn't good enough for it to work.

-Larry Jones

Philistines. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

If it stays twisted to within 0.5in of the termination, it should be fine. Some cable does that better than others.

If both are on the same transformer, and you are running (sort of) near the power connection between the buildings, then I would agree. You want any large changes in the voltage on the cable to follow changes in the ground wiring, so they can't be too far apart.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

(snip)

You could also run T1, though it is only 1.5Mb/s. It needs two pairs of phone quality cable, I think Cat 3 is about right. Used CSU/DSU and routers aren't too expensive.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

The ethernet loop extenders are only $150 or so for two units and are good for 10-15 Mbps, and only need traditional phone line protectors.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.