Cat 5 Install Pricing

Hi Everyone,

I've done PC repair work as a side business on the weekends for years now and recently I have a customer that wants me to install a network in a small dentist office. It is a new building and I will be installing 10 computers. There will be a computer at all 6 dental chairs one at the x-ray machine and

3 in the receptionist area. The office is not large, about 50 feet by 30 feet and the conduit and boxes are installed for the cable. I just have to pull the conduit and tack it up above the dropped ceiling and of course add connectors to the ends.

My question is how much should I charge for pulling and installing cat 5 cable in this situation. I have been given all sorts of suggestions from $20/ft to $75 per cable drop. $20 per foot seems outrageous to me, but that's why I'm asking.

TIA.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy
Loading thread data ...

Michael Kennedy wrote in part:

It depends on many factors, area of the country, desireability of the customer, ect.

$20/ft might be reasonable for a short job, especially with a difficult run. It is excessive for your 10 drop, 600ft job.

One small point: please do not crimp plugs on wire. Punchdown onto jacks and use factory-made patchcords.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Thanks for the advice.That is what I planned on doing. I hate messing with crimping RJ45 connectors onto cables. The punchdowns are much eaiser and looks much nicer as well.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Michael Kennedy wrote in part:

Punchdowns are also more reliable. They don't move, so don't work harden. Users replace patchcords when worn or too short.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.