CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a CAT-5 cable into the Ethernet port. It seemed a bit tight at first when inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the cable snap in to place. Everything worked fine until I tried to remove the cable. Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very quiet snapping sound, but the cable is still stuck hard in place.

I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then trying to remove it, pressing down both soft and hard on the clip, but the cable is still stuck in the port. This problem is pretty frustrating - in years of using networking gear I've never seen a cable stuck like this before. Any tips to removing that cable - without damaging the Ethernet port - would be greatfully welcomed.

patiwat_at_sloan.mit.edu

Reply to
patiwatp
Loading thread data ...

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Try a small (possibly jewellers type) flat-blade screwdriver behind the clip to press it down. Do this in good light, so you can see if the clip is being pressed enough to release it. The plug will be tight to remove. - You may need a second pair of hands! You can also use the screwdriver to *gently* apply leverage to help get the plug out. It was the Ethernet port, and not the modem port you connected to wasn't it?

Good luck, Philip Partridge

Reply to
Phil Partridge

Thanks a lot! This worked. But no, it was actually the Ethernet port.

Reply to
patiwatp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.