cabling jammed together

Greetings. I would appreciate input from the group. I acquired an aged house recently and running network wire and cable is proving challenging. I can create a run to most of the house but my new network wire and coax cable will end up bundled en masse in close proximity for about 50 feet before being distributed. Is this a problem?

In other words, if I do multiple network/cable/phone runs to a number of rooms and the lines must of necessity be bundled together (imagine a six-inch diameter pile of wires), will there be interference between these that will degrade performance?

Throw in a cable from an antenna in the mix too.

I've successfully networked and "cable-ized" houses and offices before but I've never had to stack these so closely. I'm buying good quality cable (quad shield) -- if this matters -- and nice cat 5e wire.

Thanks!

Reply to
Power Cat
Loading thread data ...

Almost certainly no problem. Cat5e is frequently bundled and run in 6" bundles. Cable should be likewise no problem -- it's well shielded and carrying the same signal.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Bundling CAT5E cables has never been a problem. As a matter of fact, up until very recently the industry did not care how much signal leaked out of one cable and coupled into another. It's been recognized as a problem with the emerging "augmented CAT6" standard, but the parameter they call "alien crosstalk" has not made it into the standards as yet. Anyways, for CAT6 cables manufacturers do not recommend bundling cables close together in a neat fashion and rather have them "loosely" bundled. The worse it looks, the better the electrical parameters ;-). They also do not recommend to use nylon cable ties for bundling (use wider Velcro ties instead), and also you are expected to place your ties at irregular intervals. Anyways, none of the above recommendations apply to CAT5E, so you should be good bundling your cables just the way you got used to.

RG6 may be a problem, but is usually well-shielded, so you should not experience any issues with that. As a matter of fact, you'll see the problem on your TV, and not on your network. If a problem exists you'll see random horizontal and skewed lines as well as "snow" when your PC kicks in. Even then, if it happens, it is not always the cable's fault - the devices themselves emit a lot, even before the signal hits the cable, so it may be just interference from a PC nearby.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

There are a number of manufactures (Commscope most notably) who make a "pre-bundled" cable that has 1-4 coax and 1-4 Cat5e in a single bundle, and an occational fiber pair as well. I've never actually used them, not usufull for my applications, but they're out there. But as previously noted, no you should have any problems what so ever.

Reply to
Justin T. Clausen

If you tie the bundle together you should not overtighten the cable ties/lashing cord. Both twisted pair and coax cable react badly to being crushed.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.