Brady ID Pal Labeler

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions of the Brady ID Pal handheld labeler? I'm not a full-time installer but need a cable labeler and this new model from Brady is considerably less expensive than their TLS 2200.

Reply to
Eli
Loading thread data ...

I'm currently using Id pal right now for all my labelling, works quite good, the only problem for me is hard to get the catridge here in malaysia.

Reply to
weiwoo

Especially for a non-full time installer I would recommend looking at Brother P-Touch PT-1650 labeler. It is a very nice machine, has features comparable to big names in the industrial labeling (like cable flags, cable wraps, patch panel ports etc.), supports printing from a database, templates, special symbols (including warning labels), barcodes, your company's logo, you name it. In the field or from your computer via USB interface. And, the price is right: you can get it on the Net within $105 to $150 range. Of course, for durability you may want to use Industrial Series TZ-tape, which tends to be a little bit expensive (not too much though), but in plenty situations (like outlet and patch-panel labels that do not have to flex) you can get away with a simple Staples-bough TZ tape. Variety of colors and widths for the tapes are supported, so you're not stuck with black/white simple design label and can give it a nice little touch of your own.

Anyways, I think you'll like this labeler for both install and office uses.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

You make some good points about Brother label makers, which, btw, I think are great (I own two).

However, the TZ-Tape is not suitable for round cables/wire marking. TZ-Tape was designed to be semi-permanent (which is great that it can be removed), but on cables (rounded surface) it will eventually peel off.

The Brady ID Pal is great because the labels are available in nylon, polyester, and vinyl. (TZ-Tape is polyester) ID Pal labels can stick to things TZ-Tape can't (like textured or round surfaces). You want to use nylon labels for cables. The ID Pal is more installer oriented, whereas the Brother is more office oriented.

As a general purpose labeler, the Brother is a lot more functional (great for office stuff). But, the fact that the ID Pal labels are useable for round cables and highly textured surfaces makes it a lot more useful for installs.

Dymo has a new labeler that looks like it was designed to compete with the ID Pal, I haven't tried it - but it is a little cheaper:

formatting link

Reply to
Crackhead

Several years ago I labeled a bunch of cables with a Ptouch. The tape was the stuff that came with the machine. I whatpped the labels around the cable like a flag, so the tape was sticking to itself.

In a year or so all the labels fell off. The glue sticks to everything but itself.

For thicker cable I've used an office labeler, placed the label the long way on the cable and then wrapped it with Scotch "Magic" tape. It's mylar and good for just about anything.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Brother makes two types of TZ-Tape that will be most appropriate for labeling in the cabling industry: "Flexible ID" (i.e. TZFX-231) and "Extra Strength Adhesive" (i.e. TZS-131). The names are pretty self-explanatory with the second one more suited for textured surfaces. They both are tad more expensive than the regular, office type ones, but hold better in the harsh environment. As a matter of fact, if you use "flag" type cable ID instead of "wrap-around", you can even get away with inexpensive office TZ tape. Flag-type cable IDs look kinda silly in large cable bundles, but for an occasional cable installer would do the job just nicely.

In my mind the Brother PT-1650s were probably the best investment we ever made in a labeler, both from cabling and office stand point. We also have Panduit's one that no one uses ever since we got PT-1650. It's not that anything is particularly wrong with that machine, it's just 1650s are some much more versatile.

Reply to

Climate-controlled computer room.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Hmm... We never had such devastating results in the past, but the warning is well received. I don't think it's wise not to spend a half cent more per label for Flex ID tape now so you don't have to go back (other than for a new business) just a year later.

Just out of curiosity: what was the environment like: hot, cold, nothing in particular?

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.