Brady ID Pal Labeler

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions of the Brady ID Pal
handheld labeler?  I'm not a full-time installer but need a cable
labeler and this new model from Brady is considerably less expensive
than their TLS 2200.



Re: Brady ID Pal Labeler
Eli wrote:


> Does anyone have any experience with or opinions of the Brady ID Pal
> handheld labeler?  I'm not a full-time installer but need a cable
> labeler and this new model from Brady is considerably less expensive
> than their TLS 2200.

Especially for a non-full time installer I would recommend looking at
Brother P-Touch PT-1650 labeler. It is a very nice machine, has features
comparable to big names in the industrial labeling (like cable flags,
cable wraps, patch panel ports etc.), supports printing from a database,
templates, special symbols (including warning labels), barcodes, your
company's logo, you name it. In the field or from your computer via USB
interface. And, the price is right: you can get it on the Net within $105
to $150 range. Of course, for durability you may want to use Industrial
Series TZ-tape, which tends to be a little bit expensive (not too much
though), but in plenty situations (like outlet and patch-panel labels that
do not have to flex) you can get away with a simple Staples-bough TZ tape.
Variety of colors and widths for the tapes are supported, so you're not
stuck with black/white simple design label and can give it a nice little
touch of your own.

Anyways, I think you'll like this labeler for both install and office uses.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
premises cabling users and pros
http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
Residential Cabling Guide
-------------------------------------




##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 1083 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##


Re: Brady ID Pal Labeler
You make some good points about Brother label makers, which, btw, I think
are great (I own two).

However, the TZ-Tape is not suitable for round cables/wire marking. TZ-Tape
was designed to be semi-permanent (which is great that it can be removed),
but on cables (rounded surface) it will eventually peel off.

The Brady ID Pal is great because the labels are available in nylon,
polyester, and vinyl. (TZ-Tape is polyester) ID Pal labels can stick to
things TZ-Tape can't (like textured or round surfaces). You want to use
nylon labels for cables. The ID Pal is more installer oriented, whereas the
Brother is more office oriented.

As a general purpose labeler, the Brother is a lot more functional (great
for office stuff). But, the fact that the ID Pal labels are useable for
round cables and highly textured surfaces makes it a lot more useful for
installs.

Dymo has a new labeler that looks like it was designed to compete with the
ID Pal, I haven't tried it - but it is a little cheaper:
http://www.graphicproducts.com/labelers/dymo-rhino-pro /



> Eli wrote:
>
> Especially for a non-full time installer I would recommend looking at
> Brother P-Touch PT-1650 labeler. It is a very nice machine, has features
> comparable to big names in the industrial labeling (like cable flags,
> cable wraps, patch panel ports etc.), supports printing from a database,
> templates, special symbols (including warning labels), barcodes, your
> company's logo, you name it. In the field or from your computer via USB
> interface. And, the price is right: you can get it on the Net within $105
> to $150 range. Of course, for durability you may want to use Industrial
> Series TZ-tape, which tends to be a little bit expensive (not too much
> though), but in plenty situations (like outlet and patch-panel labels that
> do not have to flex) you can get away with a simple Staples-bough TZ tape.
> Variety of colors and widths for the tapes are supported, so you're not
> stuck with black/white simple design label and can give it a nice little
> touch of your own.




Re: Brady ID Pal Labeler
Crackhead wrote:

> You make some good points about Brother label makers, which, btw, I
> think
> are great (I own two).

> However, the TZ-Tape is not suitable for round cables/wire marking.
> TZ-Tape
> was designed to be semi-permanent (which is great that it can be
> removed),
> but on cables (rounded surface) it will eventually peel off.

> The Brady ID Pal is great because the labels are available in nylon,
> polyester, and vinyl. (TZ-Tape is polyester) ID Pal labels can stick to
> things TZ-Tape can't (like textured or round surfaces). You want to use
> nylon labels for cables. The ID Pal is more installer oriented, whereas
> the
> Brother is more office oriented.

> As a general purpose labeler, the Brother is a lot more functional
> (great
> for office stuff). But, the fact that the ID Pal labels are useable for
> round cables and highly textured surfaces makes it a lot more useful
> for
> installs.

> Dymo has a new labeler that looks like it was designed to compete with
> the
> ID Pal, I haven't tried it - but it is a little cheaper:
> http://www.graphicproducts.com/labelers/dymo-rhino-pro /

Brother makes two types of TZ-Tape that will be most appropriate for
labeling in the cabling industry: "Flexible ID" (i.e. TZFX-231) and "Extra
Strength Adhesive" (i.e. TZS-131). The names are pretty self-explanatory
with the second one more suited for textured surfaces. They both are tad
more expensive than the regular, office type ones, but hold better in the
harsh environment. As a matter of fact, if you use "flag" type cable ID
instead of "wrap-around", you can even get away with inexpensive office TZ
tape. Flag-type cable IDs look kinda silly in large cable bundles, but for
an occasional cable installer would do the job just nicely.

In my mind the Brother PT-1650s were probably the best investment we ever
made in a labeler, both from cabling and office stand point. We also have
Panduit's one that no one uses ever since we got PT-1650. It's not that
anything is particularly wrong with that machine, it's just 1650s are some
much more versatile.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
premises cabling users and pros
http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
Residential Cabling Guide
-------------------------------------




##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 1107 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##


Re: Brady ID Pal Labeler
>Crackhead wrote:
>
>> You make some good points about Brother label makers, which, btw, I
>> think
>> are great (I own two).
>
>> However, the TZ-Tape is not suitable for round cables/wire marking.
>> TZ-Tape
>> was designed to be semi-permanent (which is great that it can be
>> removed),
>> but on cables (rounded surface) it will eventually peel off.
>
>> The Brady ID Pal is great because the labels are available in nylon,
>> polyester, and vinyl. (TZ-Tape is polyester) ID Pal labels can stick to
>> things TZ-Tape can't (like textured or round surfaces). You want to use
>> nylon labels for cables. The ID Pal is more installer oriented, whereas
>> the
>> Brother is more office oriented.
>
>> As a general purpose labeler, the Brother is a lot more functional
>> (great
>> for office stuff). But, the fact that the ID Pal labels are useable for
>> round cables and highly textured surfaces makes it a lot more useful
>> for
>> installs.
>
>> Dymo has a new labeler that looks like it was designed to compete with
>> the
>> ID Pal, I haven't tried it - but it is a little cheaper:
>> http://www.graphicproducts.com/labelers/dymo-rhino-pro /
>
>Brother makes two types of TZ-Tape that will be most appropriate for
>labeling in the cabling industry: "Flexible ID" (i.e. TZFX-231) and "Extra
>Strength Adhesive" (i.e. TZS-131). The names are pretty self-explanatory
>with the second one more suited for textured surfaces. They both are tad
>more expensive than the regular, office type ones, but hold better in the
>harsh environment. As a matter of fact, if you use "flag" type cable ID
>instead of "wrap-around", you can even get away with inexpensive office TZ
>tape. Flag-type cable IDs look kinda silly in large cable bundles, but for
>an occasional cable installer would do the job just nicely.
>
>In my mind the Brother PT-1650s were probably the best investment we ever
>made in a labeler, both from cabling and office stand point. We also have
>Panduit's one that no one uses ever since we got PT-1650. It's not that
>anything is particularly wrong with that machine, it's just 1650s are some
>much more versatile.
>
>--
>Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Several years ago I labeled a bunch of cables with a Ptouch. The tape
was the stuff that came with the machine.  I whatpped the labels
around the cable like a flag, so the tape was sticking to itself.  

In a year or so all the labels fell off. The glue sticks to everything
but itself.    

For thicker cable I've used an office labeler, placed the label the
long way on the cable and then wrapped it with Scotch "Magic"
tape. It's mylar and good for just about anything.



--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.


Re: Brady ID Pal Labeler
Al Dykes wrote:


> Several years ago I labeled a bunch of cables with a Ptouch. The tape
> was the stuff that came with the machine.  I whatpped the labels
> around the cable like a flag, so the tape was sticking to itself.  

> In a year or so all the labels fell off. The glue sticks to everything
> but itself.    

> For thicker cable I've used an office labeler, placed the label the
> long way on the cable and then wrapped it with Scotch "Magic"
> tape. It's mylar and good for just about anything.

Hmm... We never had such devastating results in the past, but the warning
is well received. I don't think it's wise not to spend a half cent more
per label for Flex ID tape now so you don't have to go back (other than
for a new business) just a year later.

Just out of curiosity: what was the environment like: hot, cold, nothing
in particular?


--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
premises cabling users and pros
http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
Residential Cabling Guide
-------------------------------------




##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 1110 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##


Re: Brady ID Pal Labeler
>Al Dykes wrote:
>
>
>> Several years ago I labeled a bunch of cables with a Ptouch. The tape
>> was the stuff that came with the machine.  I whatpped the labels
>> around the cable like a flag, so the tape was sticking to itself.  
>
>> In a year or so all the labels fell off. The glue sticks to everything
>> but itself.    
>
>> For thicker cable I've used an office labeler, placed the label the
>> long way on the cable and then wrapped it with Scotch "Magic"
>> tape. It's mylar and good for just about anything.
>
>Hmm... We never had such devastating results in the past, but the warning
>is well received. I don't think it's wise not to spend a half cent more
>per label for Flex ID tape now so you don't have to go back (other than
>for a new business) just a year later.
>
>Just out of curiosity: what was the environment like: hot, cold, nothing
>in particular?
>
>
>--
>Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
>http://www.cabling-design.com
>Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
>premises cabling users and pros
>http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
>Residential Cabling Guide
>-------------------------------------
>


Climate-controlled computer room.  

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.


Re: Brady ID Pal Labeler

Eli wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with or opinions of the Brady ID Pal
> handheld labeler?  I'm not a full-time installer but need a cable
> labeler and this new model from Brady is considerably less expensive
> than their TLS 2200.

I'm currently using Id pal right now for all my labelling, works quite
good, the only problem for me is hard to get the catridge here in
malaysia.



Site Timeline