Blilnking network cable id-ers

Can someone recommend a manufacturer or model number for a network cable tester that blinks the port on the switch? I have enough mappers and numerical id-ers but recently found how useful a blinker could be- for instance when you're working on an outlet and the existing cable hasn't been labeled.

Thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles
Loading thread data ...

You're depending on the cable to work! [Not have opens]

Typically installers use toners for identifying cable, but this doesn't work so well in a live installation.

You could always run `ping` on the connected computer. Or even easier -- note "off" ports on switch, unplug machine, note which port now came off.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Couple testers you can use for that are Fluke NetTool:

formatting link
and Ideal's Navitek:
formatting link
check them out, look at the pricing and make your choice. There are couple more on the market that you could Google to find.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

That's exactly the point. The function is to identify a working cable/port that has not been labeled. For example, I was working on a system where there were about 80 ports distributed around a building. All cable is in working condition, and all are connected to the switch, but just not labeled properly.

That is what I had to do, but it took two people, on different floors of the complex, and after staring at the 80 ports for long enough, I was seeing green LED's everywhere! And of course, there were some unused outlets, we tried to use the tone on then but since they all went into the switch a blinking light would have been a lot faster.

I found a cheap-o unit on ebay for about $25, that might do the job.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

My old Fluke DSP-2000 did this. The newer DSP-4000 also does this but I do not have the proper attachments to allow this-they want to sell you dozens of heads for different applications-which is OK most of the time except here where they nickly and dime you to death. If I don't have a toner handy I do what somebody else suggested, I write down which ports are off on the hub and then plug in the cable to a live machine-which of course lights up one of the link lights.

--Dan

Reply to
dg

Charles,

Take a look at the DataLite DL100 kit at the following links:

formatting link
or
formatting link
It doesn't blink the port on the patch panel, but rather just lights up the plug-in modules. Apparently, they also make a patch panel that is similarly equipped. Hope this helps.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.