Best way to connect external router to OnQ

Greetings, I have a house that came preinstalled with a an OnQ 1x6 Basic telecom module (parth1267062-01) connected to a 6 port expansion module (1267062-01). All the jacks throughout the house are connected to either one. Soon I will be getting cable internet and I would like to connect an external router to some of the jacks in the rooms. All connections use standard cat5 cable from the OnQ to the jacks. I tried using a tone generator to isolate the unlabled cables and where they ran, but since all the cables are connected together, it was difficult for me to do. Is there a simple way to do this? I am thinking, I need to pull out the cables for the rooms that I need internet and connect them to the router.

I am new to this but I know computers and networking pretty well.

Thank you for your time and help.

S.

Reply to
amerdsp
Loading thread data ...

If it was done correctly all you need to do is patch every port from the router to every port on the expansion module and patch the cable modem to the router and you should be good to go.

Reply to
Sonny

Thank you for your reply. The cables in the expansion module are all connected together now, since the expansion module seems to take one line in 6 out. I need to disconnect the cables that have to go to the router so they do not connect to the cables that will remain used for voice... right?

Here is a photo of what I have right now..

formatting link
Thank you for your help.

S
Reply to
amerdsp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.