A question about newfangled telco cabling bits

I've got a question about the telco electrical connection terminal strips that are tighened with a "can wrench". It has silicone (?) goop for moisture-proofing and 7/16 nuts for fasteners. I've never screwed with these.

8 pots lines have just been installed here for a business operation. I'm new here and I didn't place the order and wasn't here when the work was completed. (getting the wire inside isn't a problem.)

The installer put in a box containing the type of terminal strip I describe above inside. He said this is the demarc and I should put my R/G pair in the upper pair of holes (the pair from the pole in in the lower pair) and there is a pair of plastic 7/16 nuts for each POTS line. I was told to tighten the nuts to make the connection.

OK. I try to buy a can wrench today. Any excuse to buy another tool. No luck, so I grab the 7/16 deep socket wrench.

I try to poke my pair in the holes and they don't go in so it's obvious that the nuts have to be backed off (CCW) to open the connector. I GENTLY use the wrench and the plastic nut breaks right off. I've broken Verizon Property!

I expect that, if I'm doing things right, (a) the nut should begin to unthread before the plastic breaks and it shouldn't be easy to over-torque and (b) as a demarc, my side of the demarc should be really simple and idiot-proof. I guess I don't qualify.

help!

This is a temporary office. It's going to be gutted shortly and if I really can't use that terminal strip I'm just going to take the 8 pairs on the Telco side and pigtail splice them to my inside wire. We'll all be gone the next time telco shows up.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

It only needs a 1/4 turn. Slide your wire in the hole, give it a 1/4 turn, and the excess will snip itself off while making connection.

Good luck!!

Reply to
Touch Tone Tommy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.