10BaseT over RG6 Coax

I've switched my Internet service from Cox Cable to AT&T DSL and now want to extend my local ethernet from my upstairs office to the living room downstairs. Rather than running a new Cat5 cable outside the house, I see that the existing obsolete RG6 (75 ohm) Internet cable runs *exactly* where I need to go. Is there some kind of passive transformer that will let me run 10BaseT over this?

I know that years ago Thinnet Ethernet was run over RG58 (50 ohm) terminated by 10Base2 repeaters. I'm not sure it makes sense to go this route. Even if I could use RG6 for this application (will it work?), I think I'd rather run new outdoor Cat5 than buy a couple of these repeaters and pay for the electricity they use 24 hours a day for as long as I live in this house.

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

Yes, there are some coax balun/hybrid solutions. Ie. see

formatting link
But almost everybody would just do wifi between the two locations..

Power line networking or phone line networking stuff also exists.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for the link to the ETS balun.

I'm already using a booster and longer antenna but the signal downstairs is weak. I think I'm going to have to either use the old coax or install new outdoor Cat5.

BTW, if I have a good strong WiFi signal, will I be able to blast through the noise created while the microwave oven is on and continue surfing?

Reply to
Bob Simon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.