WOW (WideOpenWest) Throttles P2P ?

Hi, does anyone know or suspect their WOW-supplied cable modem (mine's a Webstar DCX2100) of throttling (limiting) P2P download speeds? There's a lot of chatter online about poor performance, for example 10 kbps top speeds even though I have WOW's 6 mbps service. I'm using a Mac G5 and got a lot better speed when I had Comcast, though the download test pages say my current speed is comparable to Comcast's. Any ideas/workarounds/fixes? Thanks!

Reply to
verivin
Loading thread data ...

Be aware that another possibility may be a firmware flaw in your modem. Some Scientific Atlanta cable modems have buggy firmware that cause the modem to wig out under heavy P2P usage.

The act of throttling P2P traffic is becoming more and more prevalent among ISPs so even replacing your modem may not be a solution. Furthermore, depending on the open-ness of your ISP you may hear denials that they are throttling traffic even when in fact they are.

To make matters worse, devices are now on the market that analyze traffic and can identify P2P traffic even if you use non-standard ports. If your ISP has taken a very aggressive stance towards P2P your only recourse may be to change ISPs if you insist on using P2P.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Remember that when downloading in TCP/IP, acknowledgement packets must be sent. If your upstream is also being used at the time, those acknowledgement packets may be delayed, thus slowing your download speed as well. How does your new upload speed compare to your old upload speed?

Reply to
Warren

X-No-Archive: Yes

Which P2P are you using? If you are using Kazaa, it supports use of a Socks 5 proxy. You could find an open Socks 5 proxy server to desguise your traffic, which is a good idea in this day and age, with the RIAA going after P2P users. Just use an open Socks 5 in another country, and that should solve your problem.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.