Worth upgrading?

To the retailer, yes. To you, no.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

I have a Motorola SB4100 that I own and brought with me from NY (where I had 10mbps service with Optimum Online) to W. Michigan (where I have

3mbps service with Charter Pipeline).

I see that a later Surfboard (SB5120, IIRC) is now on sale at a very low price.

Would there be any advantage in upgrading?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

And some day, those will be great reasons to update. But there's no reason to replace a working modem today.

By the time the day comes that there will be any benefit received from updating, the SB51xx may already be obsolete as well. Spending money now to replace the SB4100, which isn't yet obsolete, and is still working, is just a waste of money.

Now if you were talking about an SB3100 or SB2100, or an SB4100 that was damaged, the story would be different. But there's no need to replace a working modem that's not yet obsolete with a newer modem if the features of the newer modem do not yet offer any benefit.

Buying technology products in advance of their need simply doesn't pay for the consumer.

Reply to
Warren

on the contrary;

The SB51xx series have better hardware to support BVI, Voice, DOCSIS1.1 QoS.. Some MSO's are forcing a tighter security measure and may require the additional hardware functionality of the later hardware; hence the reason they lease their units.

Reply to
Alex Evonosky

The only problem I found is that the SB4100 would not do the new Comcast speeds - 6 mbps - Silver , or 8 mbps - Gold. It was topping out at 5 mbps.

Some people / areas have this working, where other people / other areas could not. This has been discussed / documented in the Comcast Forums (in the

formatting link

Reply to
riggor99999

That may be so, but I don't think that this is a factor for the original poster as he was using the same modem and getting 10 mbps.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Understood - my point was that the modem may perform differently with a different ISP / network ...

Reply to
riggor99999

What you say is very true...and sorry I missed your intended point.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.