Wireless

You can get a wireless Netgear or similar router for $29.95 on sale at one of your local electronic/depot stores almost every week.

They also come with a 4-port switch, so you can use wired and wireless at the same time. The router doesn't care if you're subscribed to cable or DSL.

Ah - just noticed you're in Italia. Not sure about local prices, but I would think the same solution should be available at a slightly higher cost. Do you have stores like CompUSA, Circuit City, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Best Buy etc ? If not, you might be able to still order online and pay more for shipping if the online store ships worldwide or you may have an Italian counterpart online.

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

I have a cable modem and connection in my apartament and it is fisicaly connected into my pc but now I just bought a laptop and I would like to be mobile at home so I can use the laptop without cable connected into it. So what I need to buy? Some router or what? Can you explain me it pls. I need a good but not expensive solution and also is that equipment the same as for the adsl?

Thanks alot Ozzie

Reply to
Ozzie

You're looking for a Netgear or Linksys wireless router that also has a 4-port switch. That way you can connect your desktop via the switch (wired) and any laptops wireless. Your laptop should already be able to handle wireless interface it it's any good - if not, you may have to buy a wireless adapter for it so it can talk to the router - also look for Netgear or Linksys for the adapter.

Either way, all you then have to do is unplug the Ethernet cable from the cable modem and plug it into the router (you'll also need a second ethernet cable from the router to the modem). Hopefully you aren't using a USB connection to the modem - if so, I'd switch to Ethernet.

Reply to
$Bill

One thing you may want to look for in the wireless router is security. Support

802.11g will provide several excellent security options. Then you'll want to see what wireless interface you have in your laptop - the newer laptops support 802.11g so you should be ok.

Without wireless security your neighbors who have wireless enabled laptops may be able to both access your network connection and potentially get into your desktop and laptop.

If you plan to use your laptop wireless capability outside your home at a hot spot you should also look into a software firewall for your laptop - I personally prefer to use zonelabs zonealarm pro

formatting link
but there are others available including zonealarm free and other free options.

Reply to
Lionel B. Dyck

Yes - I should have mentioned to get a G router (not B or super G or pre-N etc). G should be fine for years to come.

Reply to
$Bill

Ozzie, You need to think about wireless security, too. I suggest reading several of the articles on my computer tips web site, in particular, my article Wireless Security at

formatting link
You may also want to read my articles on networking, also.

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

I am not sure about those stores you wrote about but I will go tomorrow and look for the "Netgear" or similar. So I did not understand, If I get a router that's all I need to have. I mean do my PC needs to have a bluetooth or...how pc comunicates with a router? So as I understood I will be able to plug it into my desktop pc and the laptop at the same time. One wired and the other one wireless (that's what I want).

Thank you for your help Ozzie

Reply to
Ozzie

They got one of those in Italia ?

Reply to
$Bill

Reply to
BigJim

I didn't check the specs on all these, but make sure they have a switch so you can run wired as well as wireless.

Here's some Netgear routers:

formatting link

54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614

54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G

54 Mbps Cable/DSL Wireless Travel Router WGR101

Wireless Router w/Phone Adapter WGR826V

And some Linksys ones:

formatting link
WAP54GX Wireless-G Access Point with SRX WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GC Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router

WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX WRT54GX2 Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX200

WRV54G Wireless-G VPN Broadband Router WTR54GS Wireless-G Travel Router with SpeedBooster

Reply to
$Bill

As a first I want to thank you all for this help. Now I need to find out what kind of wireless my pc has. It's a Toshiba A60 so the model is old not long and I just bought it, I think that support should be good. I don't have only bluetooth, but as I saw I can get an adapter and resolve that. About software firewall, I am using it for an ages. I've had Zone alarm, now I have Norton internet security (which I've got with the laptop already installed).

So conclusion is I'll get a wireless Netgear G or similar G router with a 4-port switch + crossover net cable for the connection between modem and router. And yes I live in the apartament where there are for sure neighbours using cable net too (wireless as well for sure) so I need to be secure of course.

Thank you Bill, Lionel and the others for the help.

Reply to
Ozzie

I'd just go for the one above it it meets all your needs - it'll also be the cheapest - on sale around these parts for $30 usually. I have the wired version and it works fine.

Reply to
$Bill

You DON'T want to use a crossover cable to connect the modem and router. Use a straight-through patch cable instead.

Reply to
Bill M.

Oh yes you're right, Thanks

Reply to
Ozzie

That's not too bad for both - assuming it's a name brand and a G router.

Reply to
$Bill

Why so expensive?

Reply to
James Knott

formatting link

Wow, this is really usefull. If you were close I would buy a drink for this kindly helping ;) When I find a one I'll post it here which model I found.

Reply to
Ozzie

The best I've seen regularly is for $30 US for just the router. A package deal might get you both for not much more, but normally it would be another $30 for the card. That's without rebates and feel free to post any deals better than that.

Reply to
$Bill

I've seen similar deals for about $30 CDN IIRC (after rebate).

Reply to
James Knott

I agree, Bill. Rebates are a fool's game. It's the equivalent of loaning money to strangers interest-free with no guarantee that they are going to pay you back.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.