why replace modem with docsis 2.0?

My cable company sent me a new modem. They say for free but Ill beleive it when I see no charges on the monthly bill. Is a Motorola 5100 and I use a Motorola 4100 right now. Why should I replace the 4100? Will the 5100 give the cable company more visibility into my home LAN to be able to charge me for the multiple PCs I have running?

Reply to
trs80
Loading thread data ...

You may find you get higher throughput. If you have a router between your LAN pcs and the cable modem they would not be able to see past your router.

Now if you have a hub, then only one pc could connect to the internet untill you buy more connections.

Reply to
Bit Twister

If your that paranoid about it then refuse it and keep your older modem.

Reply to
Whomever

No, DOCSIS 2.0 is described here:

formatting link
You know you can actually use yahoo or google for something good! They are search tools!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Cable Companies have no interest in how many pc's you put on the network. It is your speed that will go down, and when it does you will be calling them for more of it. THEN they can sell you something new.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.