which wireless do you like linksys, netgear or dlink

Ok now that I going to purchase and install a new wireless router which ones do you all like. With a wired router it is a no brainier anyone will work. What I am looking for is ease of setup and good signal strength. Also good wireless pci card compatibility. Anyone want to throw in a good place to buy it my ears are open. Low price is GOOD but I am not cheap. BTW I will be running xp pro on one system and

98se on the other.

TIA

Thanks again for the answers to my last query.

Reply to
BigJim
Loading thread data ...

I like Linksys and Netgear, and I use and recommend

formatting link
for their great prices and fast service.

Reply to
Bill M.

I agree except you can usually find a Netgear and/or Linksys on sale locally at CompUSA, Office Depot, BestBuy or Circuit City on sale for $30 to $40 resp. usually after rebate. Both are good routers for the very inexpensive price. If you go wireless - just get the regular G router for that $30-40 - not many sales on wired routers these days. Just pick up your Sunday paper on Saturday at your local supermarket and see who has the best sale on.

Reply to
$Bill

I prefer Netgear. Lots of folks like Linksys. ....

There's a Netgear on sale at Circuit City for $30, no rebates. The 614.

Reply to
DLR

I agree, except you don't necessarily have to buy a newspaper. Just go to

formatting link
and find your state, then pick a category, such as Networking-Wireless, and start shopping your local stores.

Reply to
Bill M.

"BigJim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I have two D-link 524 wireless routers at different residences. I use them to connect to Dell laptops. I didn't get matching wireless cards. One laptop has an Orinoco PCMCIA card, and the other two laptops have built-in wireless cards (Broadcom/Intel2200 ?).

Good luck.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

If signal strength is important, get a Linksys SRX wireless router and NIC. They're not as cheap as the normal 802.11G router, or even the Linksys "Speedbooster" routers, but they will give you the best performance because of their multiple input / multiple output (MIMO) technology. Expect to pay for this quality, and it's probably overkill for most people.

formatting link
But if you just want a good value, and don't have any exceptional conditions to deal with, Linksys or Netgear are your best bets. A friend in retail has seen many people return their D-Link wireless routers, and replace them with Linksys in the store he works in.

Reply to
Warren

I bought 2 Belkin wirelessG pci cards, 20 bucks each, setup was easy, load the drivers, shutdown install cards, boot, enter the encryption code and you are up and running for both 98se and xp. I just tested them on my neighbors wireless router 100 feet away signal is good and btw he gave me the encryption code. He is using a LinksysG so looks like that is the way I am going.

Reply to
BigJim

I've used several of each at home and at work. They both work well. My son swears by Belkin. He claims they have the best bang for the buck. Take your pick.

Rich Piotrowski

Reply to
Rich Piotrowski

After that stunt Belkin pulled a couple of years ago where their routers came factory configured to intercept user HTTP requests every few hours and redirect the requests to a Belkin web site to serve up a Belkin product ad, I'm slightly amazed that anyone would even consider buying a Belkin router. That their developers would even consider hijacking user connection requests to deliver ads instead of the page/image/whatever the user requested was appalling. To make matters worse, Belkin didn't seem to understand why people thought it was a big deal, but agreed to remove the "feature".

If you don't recall the incident, "

formatting link
" has part of the story and some of the USENET articles at the time. Follow the "a lot of heat" link near the top to see more. -WBE

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
BigJim

They never said they were sorry for doing it. They said they were sorry people were offended that they did it.

"I'm sorry you didn't like it when I hit you on the side of the head, " is not the same as "I'm sorry I hit you on the side of the head."

Reply to
Warren

:-) But just in case you really want an answer...

No, for two reasons.

1) Bugs are one thing, but when intentional hijacking like that can reach store shelves, it means that the developers, the quality assurance people, management, and marketing either agreed with it, didn't understand why it's wrong, or didn't have the power to veto it. That's a really bad sign (in my opinion).

The problem isn't the product -- it's the mindset that allowed it. Judging by what I read at the time, Belkin didn't fix the hijacking because they woke up and realized it was inherently wrong, but because of the bad press / customer complaints.

2) Other companies such Cisco/Linksys, Netgear, ZyXEL, and D-Link do, AFAICT, understand the issues, and such idiocy would never have gotten off the ground there. With their products' features and prices just as good or better, there's no reason to even consider Belkin for routers (in my opinion). -WBE
Reply to
Winston

"BigJim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I have a DLink DI614 and DI524. Both thave been running for more than a year without any problems. They connect to both wired computers and wireless laptops. One of the laptops uses a Dlink card, the other does not. I am using WAP-PSK and both routers are fast and seem to be reliable and secure.

Reply to
Colin
[...]

No, I wasn't aware of that incident. I guess you get what you pay for.

Rich Piotrowski

Reply to
Rich Piotrowski

I couldn't agree more - this seriously tainted my opinion of the company, and they had an opportunity to fix it, but chose to act as if nothing was wrong and acquiring customer data without their consent was "normal". This type of idiocy is what's destroying American corporate culture in the technical field. The bean-counters have run amuck with business opportunities created by cost-cutting and abusing customer relationships instead of investing in innovation, which, smartly done, will always result in some sort of profit.

Reply to
DMFH

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.