want to go wireless with my laptop

Your PC should be connected to the router - not the modem.

What kind of router do you have ?

All you really need is a wireless G router and if your laptop doesn't have wireless capability, you'll need to get a wirelss card for it.

A Netgear or Linksys G router (802.11g) would be my first choice and if you need a wireless card for the laptop, try to get the same brand.

You may be able to get a package deal on both. Ignore B, Super-G, Pre-N and anything other than plain G which should be fine for the near future. $30 will get a Netgear on sale and maybe $40 for a Linksys. Cards about the same.

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

Ok I searched on here for my answers and i have know clue what im reading. so please keep it simple for me I want to go wireless with my wifes laptop its a apple ibook G4, I have a pc with windows xp home. Right now we both use the internet with a linksys cable modem and a router to share the connection. I want to go wireless with her laptop, I don't think we have any airport installed. I will keep mine wired to the modem! i have been looking at the motorola sbj 900 or something like that. please tell me what i will need to do this with the laptop and what parts i will need

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Subytim

Reply to
BigJim

not wireless.

Just a comment - my DLink stuff works OK, but I had a really tough time collecting the rebates due me. DLink (and many others) use a contractor, and they held mine (in process!!!) for five months until I got DLink to intervene. CompUSA, where I bought the stuff, would do nothing.

Reply to
Jim T.

| Ok I searched on here for my answers and i have know clue what im reading. so | please keep it simple for me | I want to go wireless with my wifes laptop its a apple ibook G4, I have a pc | with windows xp home. Right now we both use the internet with a linksys cable | modem and a router to share the connection. I want to go wireless with her | laptop, I don't think we have any airport installed. I will keep mine wired | to the modem! i have been looking at the motorola sbj 900 or something like | that. please tell me what i will need to do this with the laptop and what | parts i will need | | Thanks | Tim

If you no clue what you are reading it is highly suggested that you go wired, not wireless.

The reason being if you don't secure that wireless connection you will be the subject of "War Driving" and can easily be "hacked".

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Ok so mostly what i need is a wireless router and a wireless card for the laptop ( does anyone know of a brand i can buy thats not apple airport? way to much money!) Right now both my router and cable modem are Linksys we just moved into our new house and now the cable modem and the router have to be power cycled all the time like 2-3 times a day while im connected i don't have a problem but ill go to work and come home and try to get on and nothing. It bothers me since ive had this set up working together at the last

2 places we lived ( what changed ) its the same provideer same computor everything the same.
Reply to
Subytim via HWKB.com

And the best choice if Linksys is a problem would be Netgear and the price is often just $30 on sale.

Reply to
$Bill

You should post your questions in alt.internet.wireless and comp.sys.mac.comm.

Depending on its age, the iBook will need either an AirPort or AirPort Extreme Card. So configured, it will work with just about any 802.11b or

802.11g base station (access point or router).

More information on AirPort cards and configuration can be found at .

Reply to
Neill Massello

iBooks have no slot for anything other than an internal AirPort card. The only other way to add wireless to an iBook is with an external USB dongle or Ethernet-to-wireless adapter.

You need to narrow the problem to one of the devices -- modem or router.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.