Wake On Lan Over Internet with a Linksys Router

OK - here is the situation. I have a Linksys WRT54G running Satori 4 and it has a cloned MAC address of my machine. I am trying to instantiate Wake On Lan over the internet. I can do it no problem inside my LAN. My router is set up with port forwarding on the correct port that i am sending the magic packet on. It forwards to the broadcast address xxx.xxx.xxx.255 I also have tried turning off the firewall and turning off the blocking of WAN requests but no go. Once again it works inside the lan if i send the packet to xxx.xxx.xxx.255, the machine will turn on but not when i hit it using the router's IP address. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jetster
Loading thread data ...

It could be that the router is eating the magic packet since the packet is addressed to the router by virtue of the cloned address. What happens if you revert to the router's native MAC address?

Reply to
Tom Stiller

I tried changing the MAC address but nothing. I tried doing some logging on the router but i can't see the majic packets coming in?

Reply to
jetster

I don't think you can route broadcast messages through a Linksys. Try routing a port, say 9, to the target machine and then sending the magic packet specifying port 9.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

I have set up port forwarding of udp on port 6 through 0 to both the broadcast and the actual machine ip (static ip). I am having no luck. It does work on the LAN though - are those requests going through the router?

Reply to
jetster

Sorry port 6 - 9 no 0 :)

Reply to
jetster

Those LAN magic packets will only be going through the switch side of the router, that doesn't cause any problems. Incoming packets from the internet will go through NAT before getting routed to a PC *but*, IIRC, most home routers don't handle magic packets too well if at all.

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

A hub or a switch will pass along any broadcast packets they receive to all the other segments in the broadcast domain, but a router will not.

formatting link
I think you would need to set up a VLAN to allow a broadcast across the router.

Reply to
Basic Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.