Verizon Wireless Broadband for notebooks

I've always thought this was the broadband group, so even though this isn't cable or DSL it's still a broadband question.

If this doesn't go here, then please direct me to the right place.

Okay.

I'm getting a notebook computer and was looking at wireless internet and found that Verizon has a plan called National unlimited Broadband.

But, looking at some of their notes, it looks like it isn't unlimited at all.

They have in their TOS that you can't do any sustained jpeg downloads, or music downloads or anything bandwidth intensive. Uh, how can the plan be unlimited.

I know that the coverage areas are not many now, but that seems to be expanding and there is coverage in my area.

It's $80 a month, but since I work for the Post Office I think we get a 25% discount.

So, any comments or advice on this?

Thanks for any info.

Norm K

Reply to
Norm Katuna
Loading thread data ...

Norm,

I would suggest reposting to comp.dcom.xdsl and/or posting a message at the Verizon forum of DSLReports:

formatting link
HTH, Karyn

Reply to
Karyn Guilmore

Broadband can be a vague term in the sense that it often just means an accelerated speed compared to what was in place in the prior generation of technology. In the case of wireless Internet access, it was traditionally about 30K or thereabouts. So to Verizon Wireless' marketing folks, their current rates on the new network may indeed qualify.

Also, it's well known that you won't have a decent experience streaming audio/video, etc. on that type of network connection. You'll find the speed reacts more in "burst" fashion than consistent speed delivery.

The use of "unlimited" was hashed out a lot when dial-up was all there was and some took that to mean they could stay connected for hours, even if they had no intent of actively using the Internet. Claims brought by customers that unlimited was incorrectly used never went anywhere **unless** the issue was busy signals, which plagued AOL extensively when it stopped outsourcing most of its connectivity and built its own dial-up network.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.