Verizon DSL / NetGear mr814 - monitoring network traffic

I have a network that consists of 10-12 computers hooked up to an 8 port netgear switch, with is hooked in to the mr814. This router is then attached to verizon's dsl modem. I generally get poor performance from the network even if only 4 computers are 'attached'. The only time performance is satisfactory is when I do a complete reset of modem and router. And that only lasts for a very brief time period.

I have really no control over these machines as this is not 1 company, but many seperate individuals (/companies). I'd like to monitor what computer perhaps is causing the problem by a network monitor, but that would require SMNP installed on all the machines. Also the mr814 router doesn't report bandwith usage. (and for that matter the connection log doesn't seem to work either).

Does anyone know how i can trouble shoot this? Possibly a product that can help me monitor the outgoing traffic.

Also is there a more suitable router / switch combo that provides better performance without too many bells and whistles to keep price low... Essentially the offices here only need to access the internet and their mail accounts. Very simple usage.

Thanks for the assistance! Thierry

Reply to
EyeOfThierry
Loading thread data ...

You don't need SNMP, what you need is a ethernet sniffer on one of the machines and a way to get it between the other machines and the modem without being on a switch. If you have a cheap hub that you can put between the switch and the router or the router and the modem, you could attach your computer there and monitor all the traffic on the hub. You just need a piece of software than can go into promiscuous mode and trap all the packets, but that obviously won't work on a switch, you would need a hub which is dumber and allow the traffic to pass your port. Just Google for an ethernet packet sniffer and you should find what you need or try a shareware/freeware site.

Reply to
$Bill

Hey Bill thanks for the idea. But doesn't a packet sniffer just tell me what's in the packet... well i'll look out there and see what that software can do... and I do have a hub around here somewhere. I'll try this. I'll let you know if it worked out!

Many Thanks for the reply, Thierry

Reply to
EyeOfThierry

Isn't that what you want ? You can tell which computer is sending what to whom. The packet analyzer should break out the IP address and port and protocol etc. and that should give you some idea of what kind of traffic you have going on.

Reply to
$Bill

I was looking for similar tools yesterday. STG will let you see overall traffic. It is very simple, and can't do much more than what you see on the example screenshot. It looks at ONE device only. Good starting point.

formatting link
Ed Wurster

Reply to
Ed Wurster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.