Using the Motorola DCT6200 receiver w/ comcast.net

So the DCT6200 supports DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 plus it has an ethernet jack on the back but I can't get a straight answer out of comcast's outsourced technical support. The best they can offer me is a link to a list of mostly out dated cable modems.

Is anyone using their DCT6200 HD receiver for comcast internet?

Reply to
Stephen Jones
Loading thread data ...

As far as I've ever seen, NOBODY uses the cable modem part of the DCT. The same goes for the SmartCard and AV inputs. On the newest 3412 (DVR version), they were all deleted to save money.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

No, but that's not really what it was designed for. The CM in the reciever is there for Opencable compability. Part of the Opencable spec (which cablecards are also part of), is that cable boxes will talk back to the headend over a DOCSIS system (redundant?) instead of the proprietary systems in place now.

The Ethernet jack is for networking boxes together in a home networking enviroment. At the SCTE convention this year, Motorola showed off a home network application running on 62xx boxes that basically pooled all the recorded content and would allow a viewer to pause on one box, walk over to another, and pick up where they left off without missing a beat. They also showed off a STB that only had digital tuner (like the DCT 700), but could access the HDD on a 6200 box over a coax based Ethernet connection. Very cool stuff, if they get the bugs worked out!

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.