using a switch rather than router

Yes. There are lots of things I did seven, eight and ten years ago that were good solutions at the time, but are no longer good solutions. They're not even acceptable solutions. Too many people look at how old technology is obsolete, and they think it's only obsolete because some business entity wanted to sell an upgrade. But that's not always the case. Somethings, like Internet connection sharing, are obsolete because they've not only outgrown their usefulnesss. They've become bad ideas.

There aren't too many hackers out there trying to attack Colicovision or Atari OS's, either. More people jiggle door knobs in urban areas than in rural areas, too. But it only takes one targetted incident to lose that bet based on the odds of a random attack.

I agree. When someone is asking if they can do something, it makes sense to believe that they aren't just asking if it's possible. They're looking for some context, too.

If you were working in a grocery store, and someone walked up to you and asked, "Do you carry canned tuna?", and all you did was answer yes, and go on your way, that customer would be pretty darn mad. They're not asking a simple, literal question. If the answer is yes, they assume you're smart enough to also know that they would like to know where to find the canned tuna. And if you're really helpful, you'll point out which brands and sizes are the best value, and/or also point out the availability of tuna in pouches instead of cans.

Most of us understand that. And when we further flesh-out answers other have given, we're not arguing. We're not going off-topic. We're adding information that adds context, and helps people -- not just the original poster -- make informed decisions. Simple yes and no answers are often unhelpful. And presenting a bad idea in the same context as good ideas isn't helpful, either.

This thread in it's entirety has a lot of useful information, and has covered many anticipated follow-up question the OP might have. Far more useful than noting the obvious answer that yes you can physically plug multiple devices into a switch.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

There are obviously different 'levels' of helpfulness and different interpretations of which is appropriate in any particular learning situation.

Perhaps. On the other hand, if you said with a smile 'yes, it's in aisle seven' the customer would have no grounds for complaint. You don't have to go into the whole song-and-dance about tuna fishermen killing dolphins and how tofu is much better for you anyway and, here, give me your hand, let me show you, it's right this way, completely organic, vegan-certified, etc.

If you give a man a fish, you feed him for one day. Teach him how to fish, and you've enabled him to feed himself for the rest of his life.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.