Usenet server w/TimeWarner Internet?

Bill M. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've been with RR since 2001 and have never had their email server go down. However, there have been a very few occasions when the network was down for maintenance or some problems. Only one lasted more than 36 hours. Most were scheduled and those times were posted with their duration beforehand. Most unscheduled problems were after startup glitches with their DNS servers during the setup period. Maybe I've been lucky. Tech support was terrible the first 6 months, but great since.

Reply to
John Gray
Loading thread data ...

You'll have to excuse me, but how would you know if the email server was down (or at least not accepting inbound email) ? You may even be able to send outgoing mail and check your mail, but still not be receiving inbound email (depending on how the server is distributed).

36 hours down for maintenance is unconscionable to my way of thinking.
Reply to
$Bill

"$Bill" wrote in news:GLadnc1qk4ikyJrYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

How does anyone know with complete certainty? What I do know was that, except for the few times there were the network problems I mentioned, I was able to send and receive messages to/from another mail server I have access to. I'd say that was a fair test of mail server availability. I regularly do this as a matter of testing filters I have in place here.

Even when a good portion of that time was from a major power outage that affected everything from the East coast well into the Midwest? Are you saying that you stay online when the network has not power applied to it?

Reply to
John Gray

You don't - you'd have to be continually testing in order to be sure.

I'm saying they should be on backup power and not be affected. The only excuse for an outage that long is a natural disaster that takes the cable out. Did they give you a refund for the 1.5 days of downtime ? I doubt it. :)

Reply to
$Bill

"$Bill" wrote in news:zs6dnSDbw58UjJXYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Doubt no more. Of course, I had to ask for it and it appeared on next month's bill. It should be automatic, but I'm not sure that any major ISP does it automatically. :^( Here we pay for the current month near the first of the month.

I've never bothered to ask for refund for the rare occasional 1 to 4 hour as my time is more valuable to me than that. There are other things in life.

Reply to
John Gray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.