Two Cable Modems/One IP address?

Hi. I have two computers in my house that use the Internet: a PC upstairs and a Mac G4 downstairs. I'm going to move from dial-up to broadband, and I have a question about this.

The laptop doesn't need to move around. My wife only uses it in her office (she then takes it to her work office, too, which is why she has a laptop), so I don't really need to go wireless.

So I wanted to know if I can get a cable modem for downstairs and one for upstairs and still just have one IP address from Comcast? Or does each cable modem have to have a distinct IP address?

Thanks for any info!

Ken

Reply to
Ken
Loading thread data ...

You cannot share an IP, between two cable modems. If you want to share your cable modem, you'll need one of those cheap firewall/router boxes, from SMC, D-Link etc. Some models support wireless.

Reply to
James Knott

Get a wired router then and you can run Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable for those lengths easily. A Netgear or Linksys wired router is probably available for almost free with rebates. Just check the Sunday ads at Circuit City, Best Buy and CompUSA along with the Office stores.

Reply to
$Bill

I've heard some bad things about wireless, especially since my computer is a PC and would be communicating with a Mac G4 on the other end.

How far can I run a wire from the router without degrading the signal? I'd need to run it from a router in my upstairs office to my wife's G4 downstairs. I guess that would be about 60 feet. Can the average 60-70 dollar router handle that?

Thanks again,

Ken

Reply to
Ken

You definitely want some security on WiFi.

Ethernet is rated at 100 M (328 feet). If necessary, you can place the router half way between the modem and computer, for a total run of 200 M. You'd have a pretty big house, if that's not enough. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Not sure exactly what your layout is, but you would like the splitter installed where service first enters the house. That may change your thinking about how things will get done. For instance, I had the modem placed in my basement, near where I could easily access the space I needed to make a drop from the attic to the router (right next to the modem.) From there I can easily make runs to any first floor location from the basement.

In your case, you probably want the modem and wireless router in your office. Patch cable from pc to router, and your done. I'm not sure if all G4's have wireless networking. If so, I would try wireless from Mac to router.

If you make the right choices, all of the pieces will fall into place.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Wurster

Realistically - get wireless router - and implement all the security / best practices - and you will be fine.

Change the default TCP/IP addresses / network turn off DHCP MAC Address filter>

Reply to
riggor9999

At that size it no longer called a "house". ;)

Reply to
David Ross

Well, if you have to take a run from say the garage, to the attic, then down the edges of the closets to the basement, you can add up quite a few meters ;-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Well, Bill Gates doubtless has the problem, but I am sure he has adequate resources to solve it. Grin.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Nup, 2 modems = 2 IPs. And 3 months of the fees would more than pay for a wireless router setup.

Reply to
aard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.