Toshiba PCX5000 (Cable Broadcast failing)

Hi- We have a Toshiba PCX5000 cable modem/wireless router combo. The wireless portion fucntions fine, and we receive a strong signal anywhere we want to use our machines. However, the cbale input/output seemingly fails quite often. That is, the "cable" light goes out and we lose connectivity. The only fix I can find is to reboot the device by unplugging it, and this works ~50% of the time (and never on the first try). Otherwise, we just have to wait unitl the thing decides to pick up the cable feed again. I've tried to eliminate some variables and have determined:

1. It is not the coaxial cable itself.
  2. It is not the styrength of the cable signal at this particular jack or in our house overall.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any remedies? Unfortuantely I do not have a receipt for the modem, so if anyone has experience with Toshiba warranty/exchanges that might be helpful too.

Cheers,

Drew

Reply to
Drew Homer
Loading thread data ...

And exactly how did you determine that it's not the most likely cause? What test equipment did you use? What parts did you replace? Did you disconnect the inside cabling prior to the first splitter, and try the modem there?

It's far more likely that the issue is your inside cabling than anything else -- bad splitters being ahead of bad coax. Second on the list, behind both sub-issues of the first, is plant problems. The modem being the issue comes in at a distant third. A very distant third.

In the unlikely event that it is the modem, the only fix is to replace it.

Reply to
Warren

I've gone through 3 in the last year. It is not able to keep a connection up. The current one reboots evey hour or two. The previous one would lock up every day or two. I not sure which is worse! Toshiba sent the replacements out in the spring, but they are nolonger returning calls or email.

I don't believe the have a way of upgrading the firmware.

Reply to
George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.