Times out on first hop

I am a Comcast customer. Ran a trace route to 209.176.20.69 and the first hop times out. Actually the first hop times out choosing many ip addresses. Talked to tech support. They can't tell me where the first hop is located. I am guessing it is the node. Anyone got any ideas where the problem is?

Reply to
Captain California
Loading thread data ...

I'll guess it is your gateway. Clickup CMD and do a ipconfig /all for it's number.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Why does it matter where it is, and what's the problem? A router not sending back responses to ICMP packets doesn't mean there's a problem. It could be a problem, or it just could mean it's configured to not send back responses to ICMP packets.

And if they could tell you where the router was located, what exactly were you planning on doing with that information?

Reply to
Warren

In article , Captain California wrote: :I am a Comcast customer. Ran a trace route to 209.176.20.69 and the first :hop times out. Actually the first hop times out choosing many ip :addresses. Talked to tech support. They can't tell me where the first hop :is located. I am guessing it is the node. Anyone got any ideas where the :problem is?

It's just a gateway router that isn't configured to respond to pings. Not a problem, and it's pretty lame that tech support didn't know that since much of Comcast's network is configured that way. If it bugs you to see that timeout, run your traceroute with an initial TTL of 2.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

What I am trying to find out is why I need to keep repairing the connection in XP. I don't know much about the Comcast network or any network for that matter. It's just annoying having to right click the connection icon on my taskbar and chose repair. It works fine as long as I don't stop browsing. As soon as I stop to read something for five minutes or so, I click to go somewhere and it times out. I just don't know where the problem is.

"Robert Nichols" wrote in message news:d603uk$n5n$ snipped-for-privacy@omega-3a.right.here...

Reply to
Captain California

Is everything in XP up-to-date? Check the NIC driver, as it may need up-dating. Then look at the obvious things in your network. Check all the cables. You may find a broken connector, or one that does not mate well. If you have a router, it could need a flash update. Your installed software could be conflicting.

If you posted the results of one trace route, someone could explain it to you.

Once you determine your system and internal network are ok, get Comcast to check/test their installation in your home.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Wurster

Great news. Tech found power level way too low. Did a temp fix. Maint. will follow up tomorrow to find where power level drops off. Thanks for all your help.

Capt.

"Robert Nichols" wrote in message news:d658ig$lem$ snipped-for-privacy@omega-3a.right.here...

Reply to
Captain California

In article , Captain California wrote: :What I am trying to find out is why I need to keep repairing the connection :in XP. I don't know much about the Comcast network or any network for that :matter. It's just annoying having to right click the connection icon on my :taskbar and chose repair. It works fine as long as I don't stop browsing. :As soon as I stop to read something for five minutes or so, I click to go :somewhere and it times out. I just don't know where the problem is.

Have you checked the signal strengths on your modem? The cable modem's status pages are typically at http://192.168.100.1 , but that can be different on some models. You're looking for a downstream power level between -15 and +15 dBmV (preferably between -10 and +10) and a downstream SNR greater than 33 dB. Upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV. If your signals aren't comfortably within those limits, a call to Comcast is in order. They will probably ask about any splitters you might have installed and ask you to check that your cable connections are tight, so you might want to check that first.

If you signal quality is good and you don't see anything unusual happening on the modem lights when the connection times out, then it sounds more like an XP problem, and I don't know squat about XP. Try the Comcast help forums at

formatting link
. Some pretty knowledgeable people hang out in the "Connection" forum.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.