Time Warner Newsgroups

I just switched from Comcast to Time Waner; now, of course, my news server doesn't work because it addresses the newsgroup at Comcast.

Does anyone know what the newsgroup address is for time warner? Is it: newsgroup.ca.rr.com? That doesn't work. Or is it: netnews.ca.rr.rocm?? That doesn't work either.

So what is it?

Can anyone enlighten me? Please!

I don't use road runner. I use Agent News Reader. I have for decades and I am not about to change.

Please help!

Rudy snipped-for-privacy@kies.org

Reply to
kies
Loading thread data ...

That's included with the packet of information you got when you switched.

It's also just a phone call away. Call Time Warner.

It's also on their main web site somewhere, the web site that's for their existing customers.

You don't have to change a thing. You are not obligated to install or use any ISP's software. HOWEVER, you are obligated to know a few things like how to get a news server configuration and how to install it into Agent.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

C:\\>ping news-server.ca.rr.com

Pinging news.adelphia.net [216.196.97.142] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.196.97.142: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=107 Reply from 216.196.97.142: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=108 Reply from 216.196.97.142: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=107 Reply from 216.196.97.142: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=107

Reply to
Agent_C

Agent_C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Pinging gives this result from NW Ohio.

Pinging Host: news-server.ca.rr.com

#1 216.196.97.142 (news-server.ca.rr.com): Echo Reply #2 216.196.97.142 (news-server.ca.rr.com): Echo Reply #3 216.196.97.142 (news-server.ca.rr.com): Echo Reply Out 3, in 3, loss 0%, times (min/avg/max) 63.8/72.0/82.6

while

Pinging Host: news-server.socal.rr.com

#1 66.75.164.120 (news-server.socal.rr.com): Echo Reply #2 66.75.164.120 (news-server.socal.rr.com): Echo Reply #3 66.75.164.120 (news-server.socal.rr.com): Echo Reply Out 3, in 3, loss 0%, times (min/avg/max) 99.2/104.9/114.8

In other forums, those changing over from Comcast to RoadRunner have been able to use news-server.socal.rr.com. It seems to vary in areas of Southern California, based on whether Adelphia was involved or not.

As for the difference in DNS resolution, DNS in your area may resolve differently, perhaps to ease the transition.???

Reply to
John Gray

Go to and click on "Server Addresses & URLs" at the top of the page.

-Larry Jones

Kicking dust is the only part of this game we really like. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Have you tried asking John Navas? He he he

Try: "news-server.woh.rr.com" (without the quotes!)

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Kim

Kim wrote in news:xpQ_g.18091$pq4.14737 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

That probably wouldn't work. He is in Southern California and RoadRunner usually doesn't allow him access to other than designated servers.

Reply to
John Gray

I am a former Comcast customer on the Westside, and I've been lucky in that my connectivity just went out for a few minutes twice on Friday night. Others in L.A. have not had connectivity for 1 or 2 days. It may be due to being classed as an ex-Aldelphia customer as I find that my email servers are named "adelphia".

Anyway, I find that the domain "ca.rr.com" works for my email, the servers being "pop-server.ca.rr.com" and "smtp-server.ca.rr.com", but the news server is "news-server.socal.rr.com", and NOT "news-server.orange.rr.com" which the rr.com website tells you if you identify yourself as a former Comcast customer. Tell it you're a former Adelphia, and it'll give you "news-server.socal.rr.com". It's really screwed up.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Oh, yeah, and the Webmail takes your full email address as the Username.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

And so the world turns.... Webmail now takes just the Username, without the domain. The idiots can't make up their minds.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

If I recall correctly, you can just type in

formatting link
and if your computer is connected to the Road Runner network, it will resolve to the right address for your area. I just tried it, even though it won't work for me, and it does do an IP check, so it shoudl work. Once you're there, go into the support area and you should quickly be able to locate the e-mail and newsgroup server addresses for your area.

But you do use Road Runner's news server. And Agent hasn't been around for decades; only since about 1995.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.