The Router Slows down the Connection WRT54G2 V1.5

I set up some relatives with a Linksys cable modem router on their Comcast connection. It is the WRT54G2 V1.5. As soon as we connect the computer directly to the cable modem the speed increases by a hell of alot. I have WPA encryption enabled with a long password; a few sports figures names and a massive number - 20 characters and impossible to guess; so I don't see how anyone can be using it illegally.

Could the router be bad?

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

Test numbers ?

I assume you mean that a wired connection is faster than a wireless connection. It has a 10/100 switch for wired access and that would give you 100 Mbps vs 54 Mbps when running wireless (minus any extra crap for encryption), so I would think you should get at least double the speed when running wired.

Reply to
$Bill

I believe best case actual throughput on a 802.11g connection is about

24 Mbps, but that's still quite a bit faster than most people's Internet connection, so the bottleneck wouldn't be the wireless portion. OTOH, we don't know if the wireless portion is connected at 802.11b, with about 6 Mbps throughput. Without more numbers and details, it's hard to tell.
Reply to
Bill M.

connection. It is the WRT54G2 V1.5.

Try changing the channel. I had problems with the same router - slow speed, dropping connections. All I did was change to a different channel, and it all cleared up. I figure one of my neighbors was using the same channel for his/her router and/or wireless telephone, and it was interfering with my router.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

No, I mean the wired connection is just as slow as the wireless.

I don't need numbers, youtube takes forever to load on the router, it takes a second connected directly.

Reply to
Justin

connection. It is the WRT54G2 V1.5.

No, the connection is slow using the ethernet connection with the desktop PC connected directly to the router.

Reply to
Justin

So when you say directly connected, you mean to the modem and not the router ?

How long does it take to go to a speed test site and run both scenarios to give us some idea ?

Do you have the latest firmware for the router installed ?

Have you tried powering the router for a couple of minutes and resetting it back to the default config and then setting it back up again (shouldn't require much if any setup) ?

Reply to
$Bill

No, sorry, I am being unclear.

There are two machines behing the cabnle modem, one is a laptop using the wireless, the other is a desktop connected via the cat5. We took the desktop and connected it directly to the cable modem bypassing the router. Normally the desktop would be behind the router connected via ethernet.

That wasn't necessary due to the obviousness of the speed degredation. We're talking old school dial up speeds.

That's my next project - once I get back over there I'll update the firmware.

Reply to
Justin

That's what I said - directly connected to the modem it works fine, so you believe the router to be the problem.

Do the 2-3 min. power off and reboot first and see if that helps - it may have just had a memory leak or some such.

Then check the Linksys site for the latest firmware whether it helped or not and download and install it (check the router's web page first and see what rev you're running on currently).

Did it ever work OK ?

Reply to
$Bill

I understand. no, it was slow the day I installed it. But the same thing happened to me when my cable was turned on - it was slow for a few days then it was fast as hell.

Reply to
Justin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.