switching from Comcast to Verizon Fios - Philadelphia / Bryn Mawr

All -

I have been a Comcast customer for 12 years (when it was originally Adelphia in my area).

For all the reasons that make sense to me - I am switching from Comcast to Verizon FIOS for TV and Internet. I plan to keep my telephone service with Vonage.

They provide a wireless router ... and according to the web site a D-Link or an Actiontec. Does anyone know what they are using in the Philadelphia area (specifically Bryn Mawr)? Can you specify? I am leaning towards D-Link ... does anyone know if one is any better than the other?

Does anyone have any "heads up" or words of wisdom? I have heard of installation horror stories - but anyone I know that did the switch said it was painless.

I have my own domain(s) ... and I have several email accounts that I have forwarded to my Comcast email accounts ... so setting new Verizon email accounts and changing the forwarding from Comcast to Verizon email accounts is simple enough (via Go Daddy). Same should be true for the personal web pages. Just set them up on Verizon and change the URL forwarding (via Go Daddy).

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Things to watch out for during installation? any lessons learned / hindsight to share?

Thx

Reply to
riggor9999
Loading thread data ...

My buddy, here in the Northern VA area, just switched like you did and they didn't give him a choice of routers. The guy walked in the house with a D-Link and it was not an option to chose anything else. It was what he had "on the truck". He LOVES it!!!! Fast and tv is clear as a bell. He did the all 3 package, tv, phone and internet, he does have decent cell coverage in his home so it was not an issue.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

I called today and they say the D-Link was the older versions and they have switched to Actiontec.

Aside from that - everyone I spoke to - they all love the TV picture and the high speeds.

The price I negotiated is less than Comast could do - even with the retention dept. (after 12 years) - plus I am getting more services. The only "catch" is 1 year contract ... but a two year price freeze. They are giving $100 cash back, and first month free - that off sets the $119 early termination fee if needed.

Reply to
riggor9999

Just be carefuk to check your bill many, MANY people negoitated one thing and then Verizon renegged when the bill actually came thru! Many people in my area have had to go to the local Gov't to get it fixed!!! For those that are happy, FAR MORE, it is great though!!!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.