[SusCom/NY] Cable Modem suggestion

After SusCom bought RCN/NY they increased speeds to 5Mbps x 256Kbps and I think I need to repleace cable modem with DOCSIS 2.0 (right now I have RCA DCM235). Any suggestion for modem upgrade?

Thanks

Reply to
Adam R
Loading thread data ...

Naw, the 235 will work fine until they push the b/w to 10M up and 10M down. RCAs are famous for having nasty loose wiring, tho. I'd look for a sale on Surfboards. Ask SusCom, They are one of the best cable ISPs.

Reply to
aard

RCA is Thompson; Thompson makes the consistently worst products in many categories. The RCA cable modems have been plagued with underpowered AC adapters, loose internal connections, and just plain mystery illnesses. (see

formatting link
when the DOS attacks are over). Thompson made the infamous XBox dvd drive that was a tortured piece of equipment. Thompson markets RCA and GE televisions and telephones in the US that are, simply, trash. Thompson is owned by the government of France; it is one explanation.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Are you think will be better to exchange for something else then RCA or stay wit this RCA DCM235 (I have download speed about 3Mbps)?

Reply to
Adam R

I have a RCA DCM235 cable modem & my download speed is fairly constant at about 4.1Mbps. Have you run the Tweak Test at this site:

formatting link
You might need to increase your Receive Window (RWIN). Mine is set at 64240. Mac

Reply to
Mac

I got this:

1. Your Tweakable Settings: Receive Window (RWIN): 65535 Window Scaling: off Path MTU Discovery: ON RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF Selective Acks: ON MSS requested: 1460 TTL: unknown TTL remaining: 119 Then where I must to set this RWIN?
Reply to
Adam R

I think your RWIN is probably OK. I thought it would be a lot lower than that. Here is what my results look like:

1. Your Tweakable Settings: Receive Window (RWIN): 64240 Window Scaling: 0 Path MTU Discovery: ON RFC1323 Window Scaling: ON RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF Selective Acks: ON MSS requested: 1460 TTL: (less any hops behind firewall) 66 TTL remaining: 53 Notes and recommendations: RWIN is in range Looking good

What did the "Notes and recommendations" below the Tweakable Settings say? These settings can be changed with this tool (DrTCP) FWIW:

formatting link

Reply to
Mac

One other thing that occurs to me is that if your ISP has recently increased your speeds you might have to reset the cable modem (unplug the modem for about 30 seconds or press the reset button on the back of the modem with a paper clip or a ball point pen) to get the new configuration file with the new speed cap. Mac

Reply to
Mac

I did this but I can't see any speed increase. On Thursday I go to local office and check what kind of modem they to swap.

Reply to
Adam R

That might solve your problem. Take a look at the last couple of messages at the bottom of this page:

formatting link
It's just that with the same RCA DCM235 cable modem I was getting 5Mbps down & 1Mbps up when I was with the @Home service a couple of years ago. Good luck. Mac

Reply to
Mac

Thanks again Mac! I was at local office, but they do not swap modems for something better (I think they only have RCA). Next week I will go to CircuitCity to buy Motorola SB5100 - in my suggestion this is only one way to see speed increase.

Reply to
Adam R

Few minutes ago I got this msg from SusCom:

"if you request an Ariss modem, they are 2.0 certified and I will notate your account that we should exchange for one at the office. "

Anybody hear something about that modem?

Reply to
Adam R

formatting link
>>

I had never heard of that modem. I looked around a little & I think it is actually spelled "Arris". If so check this out:

formatting link
are probably referring to the Touchstone CM 450 model. If they will swap them for free it might be worth trying. I have heard that the Motorola SB5100 is supposed to be about the best one around.

It is very strange but apparently the RCA DCM235 cable modem doesn't work very well on the Suscom network. Mac

Reply to
Mac

formatting link
>>>

them

Reply to
Jim T.

Yesterday I bought SB5100 at BestBuy (thanx Jim for info) and here some compare infos:

RCA DCM235: Morning: SusCom Bandwidth Meter: 3210 kbps

Cable Signal Details Forward Path: Signal Acquired at 734 MHz SNR: 33.8 dB Received Signal Strength: -15.5 dBmV Micro-Reflections: 33 dBc Modulation: 64 QAM Return Path: Connection: Acquired Frequency: 24 MHz Power Level: 41.0 dBmV Channel ID: 2 Modulation: QPSK Evening: SusCom Bandwidth Meter: 2697.7 kbps

Cable Signal Details Forward Path: Signal Acquired at 734 MHz SNR: 34.2 dB Received Signal Strength: -17.2 dBmV Micro-Reflections: 33 dBc Modulation: 64 QAM Return Path: Connection: Acquired Frequency: 24 MHz Power Level: 41.0 dBmV Channel ID: 2 Modulation: QPSK

Motorola SB5100: Morning: SusCom Bandwidth Meter: 4250.4 kbps

Downstream Value Frequency 735000000 Hz Locked Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB Power Level -16 dB Upstream Value Channel ID 2 Frequency 24816000 Hz Ranged Power Level 43 dBmV

Evening: SusCom Bandwidth Meter: 3558.6 kbps

Downstream Value Frequency 735000000 Hz Locked Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB Power Level -16 dB Upstream Value Channel ID 2 Frequency 24816000 Hz Ranged Power Level 43 dBmV Cable Signal Details are almost this same. Speed beter on SB5100 (DOCSIS 2.0 vs DOCSIS 1.0)

Reply to
Adam R

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.