Surfboard 5100 changes to another upstream channel while I'm online

Hi, I have some problem with my SB 5100, I chose for upstream channel ID 2, since that channel has the best latency and no/little packetloss, so when I'm doing stuff online, the modem changes to another channel ID every now and then, the crap thing about this, is that my internet is "on hold" for about 10 seconds, extremely annoying while browsing. I thought that the modem searched a better channel, but in my case it's worse.. and why the crap is it looking for another channel ID while I'm online.. I want it fixed but doesn't seem to work. Are the values below causing this ?

Frequency 130750000 Hz Locked Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB Power Level 4 dB

Upstream Value Channel ID 3 Frequency 56944000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 53 dBmV

Reply to
quality sites
Loading thread data ...

hmmm I didn't know that a person could change their upstream channel id... do the cable companies allow this? is it done automatically ? what can the more technically inclined tell me about upstream channel ids? TIA

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Customers are balanced on different upstream channel id's for better performance, I see you are from Germany, but there is no cable internet there.

Reply to
quality sites

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Since when are you permitted to change U/D channels? DOCSIS modems are managed remotely and the ability of changing this parameter is normally reserved. What you are seeing is probably your provider automatically reallocating the U/D channel.

Are you using a third-party application to access this capability?

--------------------- The Traveler Oceanside, California

Reply to
The Traveler

The Traveler wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Even if you are able to change the US channel some how, DOCSIS states that the modem will listen to upstream information in the MAP messages sent on the DS. Therefore your modem will switch if you are using an OID to set it to the other US.

Reply to
jamesg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.