Status on Comcast cable modem problems

Several weeks ago I participated in a long thread about a client's cable internet going down every night. It was a great discussion, with very good input and ideas. I wanted to provide an update:

Toward the end of the discussion, when none of the ideas fixed the problem, I resigned myself to never getting resolution. I started discussing changing providers with the client. However, I continued to call Comcast almost daily to report the morning outages. On the weekends I would call in and get their national NOC, which I'd started looking forward to, since those guys always gave me a different perspective (and a little more respect) than the local folks. Well, late one Friday night about 3 weeks ago, I started my normal process of trying to access my router on the client's network after 11:00 p.m., fully expecting to find the connection down. To my surprise, the router interface popped right up. "Well, it will be down in the morning, for sure, " I thought, and I went to bed. Even more to my surprise, however, the morning found the internet connection still up. This was the first time this had happened since April 4.

Long story short: The problem has not returned. I did nothing to bring about the "fix," other than continue to badger Comcast. I have no idea what specifically occurred to resolve the problem. I'm just glad that part is over. The regrettable part now is the cost to my client. I have given them a discount, and I'm only billing for my time on site, not all the hours I spent at home and in my office pursuing and researching the problem. However, my bill is hefty, and I know in my heart that my client is not at fault and should not have to bear this cost. But what can I do? Comcast never did admit responsibility, and now that it's working their attitude is, "See? We told you there was nothing wrong."

What a crock.

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

Far be it from me to stand up for Comcast, they were clearly wrong, that being said since you are a computer consultant, you are aware that IT people don't always have a quick and easy fix. Often we must tinker and make changes until it finally works. I think this is what happened in your case. Your constant calling made them try something different until finally they got it right. If you had not called your client would probably still be having problems. Comcast is a BIG company, they have tons of people all trying to make things better for the person on the phone. My neighbor had low signal issues so they came and installed a booster. Then they replaced the main cable going into the box in the yard 5 doors down the street. All of a sudden his cable and internet is out again! When he finally got them out there, the signal is too high! They had to come take the booster out! They fixed the main problem of a bad underground cable, but caused other ones in the process.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.