Start Internet Explorer while booting, lose connection

I have a cable modem and a wired/wireless router, with one computer connected to the router by wire and one computer connected by wireless. Both are running Windows XP Home. Lately, I've been losing my Internet connection, and to get it back, I have to unplug the modem, plug it back in, reset the router and then reboot the computer. One theory I have is that it happens if I start Internet Explorer too soon after booting up the computer, presumably before the computer has established the connection to the LAN. Does that make sense? Another possibility is that it's a problem with the router. Mine died a few months ago, and I replaced it with an identical Linksys BEFW11S4. This problem may have started at that time. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Michael.Gobler
Loading thread data ...

I'd start by trying to isolate the failure.

When your connection fails, try loggin in to the webpage on your router and see if all is well that far (try both computers).

If you can talk to your router, then try loggin into your modem's web page and see if that goes as well. Report any failures and your modem model.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.