splitting the cable connection

Hi, I have broadband connection via cable modem. Instead of going in to details let me ask the question. Can the cable can be used with a splitter to drag the connection to two rooms? I just want have two rooms to be wired with cable connection. At any given time the modem will be used only in one room. I don't use the cable for cable TV or trying to steal cable connection either. What type of splitter will work best? Walmart's $2-3 splitter or Radio shack's $10.00 two way splitter?

Thanks kaze

Reply to
jnk
Loading thread data ...

Yes and no. You can't use two modems from separate split connections, but what you can do is attach a router to your single connection and access the router from anywhere in your house (via wires or wireless if you get a G router).

So wire one room with your cable drop (which probably already is split from your TV drops(s)), add a cheap Netgear/Linksys (or maybe even a Dlink router) and connect to the router with your PCs. A G router should only cost you $50-60 at the major electronic stores on sale (maybe even less on a good sale/rebate).

Here's what mine looks like for eg (splitter serves modem and 3 TV lines one of which is further split 1-8 in family room):

/-- Grounding block pass thru connector at exterior wall | | RG6 Terayon Netgear PC1 PC2 | X------> TJ715X Modem ----> RP614 Rtr ------|---|---|---| RG6 V RG6 X

--------->X----->X to Family Room --> Pico Macom Tru Spec X RG59 TSV-8SB 1-8 splitter X-----------------> BR1 TV X RG59 X-----------------> BR2/3 TV (terminated)

If you do any wiring before the router, use RG6 broadband and use Cat5 Ethernet after the router (if you go wired instead of wireless).

Make sure you use a good splitter if you have to add a line to the modem and you don't currently have one (5-1000 Mhz).

Reply to
$Bill

Yes. And it's good practice, although probably not necessary, to put a 75 ohm terminator on the outlet not being used to avoid signal ingress and to avoid reflections at the open connector. (Terminators are just resistors that look like nipples, and they screw onto the unused connector.)

If Walmart's splitter is rated for freqs between 5MHz and 1GHz, I'd go with it. $10 for a splitter is a bit much for cable. Maybe Radio Shack's a splitter is made for satellite IF signals, which should be rated for freqs up to 1.5GHz (2GHz if using signal stacking).

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.