Splitter with Cable modem

I will be helping a friend install a cable modem and setup cable Internet service. He has the home install kit (Comcast). The kit shows the ins and outs for the modem connections on the back panel.

My question is, can I use a standard cable splitter to split off the cable from the TV to the modem? Or do I need some kind of special splitter since the device is a cable modem?

Thanks,

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster
Loading thread data ...

You can use any quality splitter rated at 900MHz or above. The splitter must pass signals in both directions but other than that, there are no special requirements imposed by the cable modem.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Thank you for your fast response! Appreciate it!

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

What is important for ANY digital service, TV or modem, is that it is rated at least 5MHz-900MHz. Do not use an unrated splitter, or one rated only down to 40MHz or so. Digital cable boxes and modems use the lower frequencies for the upstream signal.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I connected my splitter on the cable from the pole/ then ran a separate line to the cable modem.

Reply to
BigJim

Tom Wrote: "You can use any quality splitter rated at 900MHz or above"

However, avoid the ones labled GC or anything from your local Walmart. Use the 2 way splitter provided in the installation kit. They are good quality, and rated at 1GHz.

One problem with most retail splitters is that while they may be rated

5-900MHz, they usually start to roll off about 600MHz, right at the cable modem downstream frequency. Truth in advertising should make them read 5-900MHz, +-10dB. The one in the installation kit is flat from 5-1GHz, and has far better shielding. Besides, it is included in the $1.00 charge for the kit.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Tom Wrote: "You can use any quality splitter rated at 900MHz or above"

However, avoid the ones labled GC or anything from your local Walmart. Use the 2 way splitter provided in the installation kit. They are good quality, and rated at 1GHz.

One problem with most retail splitters is that while they may be rated

5-900MHz, they usually start to roll off about 600MHz, right at the cable modem downstream frequency. Truth in advertising should make them read 5-900MHz, +-10dB. The one in the installation kit is flat from 5-1GHz, and has far better shielding. Besides, it is included in the $1.00 charge for the kit.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.