Splitter question

If you look at the labels on the outputs of a three-way splitter, you'll notice that it's essentially the same thing. The input is split once, with one leg going straight to an output, and the other leg is split again before going to the outputs. Make sure the modem is on the leg that was split only once, and make sure you have a splitter with a wide enough frequency range.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

I have to run some RG6 in my daughter's new apartment. The coax line comes up inside the closet. In order to supply two TVs and a modem is it best to use a two way splitter and then split the TV line again or will a three way splitter be OK? TIA DFB

Reply to
NickySantoro

I would use a good quality 3-way splitter, if that's the most convenient in your situation. Each splitter, and each connection, adds it's own bit of insertion loss, so a single 3-way might be more efficient than a pair of 2-ways. The splitter should have an output labeled -3dB (or possibly -3.5dB) and two outputs labeled -7dB (or

-7.5dB). The -3dB output should go to the cable modem, and the other two to the TV's.

Reply to
Bill M.

On 09/23/05 10:58 am Robert Nichols tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Lowe's? Home Despot? Radio Schlock? Menards? (if they are in your area)

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

In article , Bill M. wrote: : :I would use a good quality 3-way splitter, if that's the most :convenient in your situation. Each splitter, and each connection, adds :it's own bit of insertion loss, so a single 3-way might be more :efficient than a pair of 2-ways. The splitter should have an output :labeled -3dB (or possibly -3.5dB) and two outputs labeled -7dB (or :-7.5dB). The -3dB output should go to the cable modem, and the other :two to the TV's.

Got a source for such a splitter, quantity ONE? I can only find them at places that want to sell me a case load. Retail stores don't seem to carry them.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

NickySantoro wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I would use a 3-way splitter or a bi-directional amp. You can pick up a multi-output bi-directional amp at radioshack for ~25.00.

A bi-directional amp is important if you have digital services on the line (i.e. cable modem/digital TV).

Reply to
Lucas Tam

The only gotcha when shopping for a 3-way splitter is that there are versions made with an equal split.

These will be marked 5-5-5 dB and not the 3.5-7-7 dB model you need.

As was mentioned up the thread, a 3.5-7-7 bD 3-way splitter is a 2-way feeding another 2-way in the same package.

They work well.

Rick Kunath

Reply to
Rick Kunath

Technically, these amps are not "bi-directional." They are an amplifier in the downstream direction with a bypass path to allow signals to flow upstream. You don't want an upstream amp, as it will interfere with the power control system in modems and set-tops. The bypass path also adds a little loss to the upstream path.

While an amp sounds like a good idea, it isn't always helpful. If the signal is strong enough when it enters the home, and amp can end up overloading the receivers causing more harm than good.

For example, if you put a 15dB amp ahead of a 7dB splitter tree the signal at the receiver will be 8dB hotter than what entered the home.

On top of all this, amplifiers reduce SNR as well, so they can cause problems if the feed has poor SNR.

It's best not to install an amplifier unless other methods to improve signals have failed, and then only after SNR and power measurements have been taken.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

In article , Percival P. Cassidy wrote: :On 09/23/05 10:58 am Robert Nichols tossed the following ingredients :into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup: : :> :I would use a good quality 3-way splitter, if that's the most :> :convenient in your situation. Each splitter, and each connection, adds :> :it's own bit of insertion loss, so a single 3-way might be more :> :efficient than a pair of 2-ways. The splitter should have an output :> :labeled -3dB (or possibly -3.5dB) and two outputs labeled -7dB (or :> :-7.5dB). The -3dB output should go to the cable modem, and the other :> :two to the TV's. :> :> Got a source for such a splitter, quantity ONE? I can only find them :> at places that want to sell me a case load. Retail stores don't seem :> to carry them. : :Lowe's? Home Despot? Radio Schlock? Menards? (if they are in your area)

I find 2-way splitters and 4-way splitters. Can't seem to find anyone who has any type of 3-way. I've tried Radio Shack, Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City. I just checked Radio Shack's web site -- no 3-way splitters. Haven't tried Home Depot or Menards -- I'll take a look, but I'm not too hopeful.

Tnx anyway.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Chase down a cable tech. Most of us will just give you one.

Reply to
Eric

Don't overlook Target, WalMart, KMart, etc.. You can be surprised what they carry.

They may not be well marked, though. Most look a bit like this (you need a fixed-pitch font to read this well):

1 2 3 | | | +-----------+ | | +-----------+ | in

#1 in the drawing would be the -3.5db output. The other two would be

-7.0db. Just make certain it's rated for at least 5-900MHz, preferably to 1000MHz (1GHz) or more. DO NOT use one rated only down to 42 or 45 or similar. That may prevent your cable box or modem from talking back.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Many thanks to all who replied. I've gotten quite an education. The three way I have in my junk box shows no differentiation but then it predates cable modems by a good bit. I'll seek a 3 way that has the requisite modalities as mentioned. Fortunately (?) Radio Schlock is ubiquitous in my AO. Again, many thanks to all. DFB

Reply to
NickySantoro

Note: E-mailed *and* posted.

In article , Robert Nichols wrote: :In article , :Percival P. Cassidy wrote: ::On 09/23/05 10:58 am Robert Nichols tossed the following ingredients ::into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup: :: ::> :I would use a good quality 3-way splitter, if that's the most ::> :convenient in your situation. Each splitter, and each connection, adds ::> :it's own bit of insertion loss, so a single 3-way might be more ::> :efficient than a pair of 2-ways. The splitter should have an output ::> :labeled -3dB (or possibly -3.5dB) and two outputs labeled -7dB (or ::> :-7.5dB). The -3dB output should go to the cable modem, and the other ::> :two to the TV's. ::> ::> Got a source for such a splitter, quantity ONE? I can only find them ::> at places that want to sell me a case load. Retail stores don't seem ::> to carry them. :: ::Lowe's? Home Despot? Radio Schlock? Menards? (if they are in your area) : :I find 2-way splitters and 4-way splitters. Can't seem to find anyone :who has any type of 3-way. I've tried Radio Shack, Fry's, Best Buy, :Circuit City. I just checked Radio Shack's web site -- no 3-way :splitters. Haven't tried Home Depot or Menards -- I'll take a look, :but I'm not too hopeful.

To update, I've found that Home Depot and Menards do have 3-way splitters, but only the balanced (-5.7db on all 3 ports) type. I still can't find the unbalanced (-3.5db, -7.5db, -7.5db) type except in wholesale lots.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Good point. I've gotten splitters and quite a few freshly-made cables of various lengths just by asking a tech who happened to be in the neighborhood.

Reply to
Bill M.

In article , Robert Nichols wrote: : :To update, I've found that Home Depot and Menards do have 3-way :splitters, but only the balanced (-5.7db on all 3 ports) type. I :still can't find the unbalanced (-3.5db, -7.5db, -7.5db) type except :in wholesale lots.

OK, I finally got one by simply stopping in at my local Comcast office and asking. The nice lady behind the counter wasn't sure they had any, but dug around in a bin of stuff for a moment and handed one to me.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Holy Ruminant! I have *never* seen balanced 3-way splitters except in hardcore parts catalogs.

You lucky sumanabeesh! I had to sleuth around to find the dispatch yard and then the jerks there tried to convince me that they didn't carry splitters on their service trucks. I had to talk jargon with a couple techs before they realized I knew what I was talking about and that I knew they were not leveling with me before they handed me a 1GHz splitter. I guess it all depends on the policy of the company that got bought out by Comcast. Our cable company has been through 4 or 5 buyouts, but the same dumb personnel continues to staff each re-incarnation.

OK, now the Big Question:

Why is your last name "Nichols" and your email adrs is "michols42"?

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

"Robert Nichols" answered the Big Question:

Hot dam! They blend perfectly. What a jolt! Have you considered writing it as "RNichols42"? It would still work the same way.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Have you considered using a different or larger font ?

Reply to
$Bill

In article , Timothy Daniels wrote: : : : OK, now the Big Question: : : Why is your last name "Nichols" and your email adrs is "michols42"?

Because you are viewing it with a poorly rendered font that makes the two letters "r" and "n" blend together and look like "m".

Reply to
Robert Nichols

But then all you'd get would be you own test rnail and sparn! :-)

*TlrnDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.