split line

I'm about to get cable/broadband and wanted to know if I can split my wires coming from the modem with out using a router? I want to run a line to my playstation 2 and my computer. I wouldn't be using them both at the same time but what would happen if I did? just kinda curious. and yes I know I'm being cheap and should just buy a router.

Thanks for anything you can add, T.J.

Reply to
tfrohliger
Loading thread data ...

You can't just split an Ethernet line. You would at the very least need a hub.

If you chose not to pay for two IP addresses, depending upon your cable company you may be able to just power-cycle the cablemodem when you want to switch devices, or you might have to call in to have them manually change your account each time you change devices.

You might also find, depending on your cable company, that they'll let you have both devices connected at the same time, and take that as an indication that you want to sign-up automatically for an additional IP address, and they'll oblige by automatically billing you for that second IP address.

All in all, you're best off just buying the router. You would also have the added protection of the router acting as a firewall to protect both your computer and Playstation. Not getting a router may be pennywise and dollar foolish.

Reply to
Warren

You can get a Netgear or Linksys router/switch for like $30 or less after rebate (another $10 will get you a wireless G-router). Look for a sale in Sunday papers at the usual electronics places. It will be worth more than the $20-40 you may pay in the long run just in keeping worm/virus attacks off your computers.

Reply to
$Bill

Whatever you buy, make sure you are getting a router, not a switch or hub.

The router will do the Network Address Translation (NAT) and will be your inbound protection.

Also allows you to share the single ip/internet connection at the same time.

Reply to
Bit Twister

I hope my router/switch was interpreted as a router with a built-in switch rather than a router OR A switch. :)

Reply to
$Bill

Me too, just wanted to make sure if the first box found on the shelf with switch as the label and was cheap, that he would not pick it. 8-)

Reply to
Bit Twister

thank you for your input. i will go with a router. but can i use a wireless w/ the playstation 2?

Reply to
tfrohliger

Most of the new wireless routers have a 4-port switch, so you have your choice of wired or wireless.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.