Setting up own server

I was thinking of putting up an server on one of my computers but my friend says that u have to portforward some ports in the router for other people to access your server pupblic and not in a private network. I just woundering if any of u guys could help how to do it goes. I got two routers between my server computer and the modem, what is the best way to portfprward the routers and what ports.

Reply to
Zurotzis
Loading thread data ...

It's possible and even pretty straightforward. Your friends are correct.

You need to do your homework though and decide exactly what services you wish to be accessible from the internet and on what ports (e.g. web server tcp/80 , ssh server tcp/22, remote desktop protocol rdp tcp/3389). You'll also want to think long and hard to see if you are willing to keep up with teh patching requirements of keeping a server on the internet so that your internal network isn't compromised quickly.

For example, if the box you want to run the server is 192.168.1.50 on your LAN and you want to use it as a webserver, you install a webserver on it that listens on tcp/80 then you'd need to tell your router that you want to forward inbound tcp port 80 traffic to

192.168.1.50. Without such port forwarding entries, your router simply rejects incoming connection requests.

Using a static IP on your internal LAN for the server you wish to use is recommended. DHCP is problematic because you aren't guaranteed that server will have the same address after reboots and you wouldn't want traffic getting forwarded to the wrong machine.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

formatting link

Reply to
Todd H.

Then there's always the problem that many/most ISPs don't allow you to run a home server unless maybe you set up a business line that allows for a server.

Reply to
$Bill

They usually don't technically disallow you from doing so, but you bring up a good point -- you will want to consult the AUP (acceptable use policy) of your ISP and verify that you aren't lining yourself up for a hand slap.

Typically though, if your use is modest even home users seem to get away with it without much of a problem. The average (l)users compromised malware infested PC that's spewing spam onto the net or serving up pron or warez will chew up a lot more upstream bandwidth and causing more business impact to the ISP than some guy's low-traffic intentionally configured home web server, or remote access

Best Regards,

Reply to
Todd H.

The problem is more and more folks like me (I run some business email servers on business circuits with static IPs) will refuse to accept email from him if it appears to come from a residential block of IP addresses.

Now if he's serving up photos of Grandma's birthday party, well, that's between him and his ISP as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
DLR

X-No-Archive: Yes

Be careful, for some reason, Comcast seems to have an odd policy on servers now. I find that I serve my web page from my Comcast account, but they block Tor nodes from accesing. If I try to access through a Tor node, its blocked, but I can access through other open proxies, I have no trouble making it work. Why would Comcast block access to customers' residential accounts from anywhere on Tor, but not from anywhere else? That seems odd that Comcast would block incoming traffic from the Tor network, but not from anywhere else.

Reply to
Charles Newman

DSL companies are a lot more friendly towards this. Of course residential DSL connections are a lot of more expensive than cable. I find that a 6 meg DSL connection where I live costs a lot more than Comcast cable modem.

6 meg service, with a static address costs $94.95 a month from The New AT&T, where Comcast, which rates in excess of 10 megabits are about $50 a month.
Reply to
Charles Newman

well i have fixed the first box but the other one is a problem i use the right IP to access it with but nothing is happening in Firefox. Do anyone know how to fix this little problem?

Reply to
Zurotzis

I doubt you'll get any meaningful help until you cough up some details.

Reply to
Bill M.

Well i want to port forward my other router but when i try to find the config menu in firefox it does not work.

Reply to
Zurotzis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.