Send charter email while on wifi?

When out with laptop on wifi I can receive me emails via outlook express but cannot send unless its to a cahter.net address which I have charter cable at home. Any way to use an email client to send and receive without going to the chater web site to web mail?

Reply to
gf
Loading thread data ...

1) I wouldn't use that M$ crap for email - get Thunderbird or one of the good shareware clients. 2) If you must use the M$ crap, I would start by going to the Charter website (I assume they have one) and look for instructions on setting up Outlook as your email client for Charter. The sending and receiving IPs may not be the same, so make sure you have the correct mail host set up in your config.
Reply to
$Bill

I guess I missed the "When out". Our English usage is certainly getting less and less specific these days. I suppose that meant when accessing my email from other than my home network.

Reply to
$Bill

Charter mail works only through Charter's servers. The only way one can do Charter email on a foreign WiFi is to use something like freepop to access the mail.charter.net webmail site.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

My ISP has a similar situation. What I do, is VPN to my home network and send the SMTP packets via the VPN and on to my ISP.

Reply to
James Knott

That will work, as long as VPN is allowed.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

That apples, no matter what you're trying to do. Some places won't even allow web mail access, if you're using Yahoo or Hot Mail etc. At least OpenVPN can be configured to use almost any TCP or UDP port, so you can get by most firewalls, though proxies may still be a problem.

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.