Router Woes

I have a wireless linksys router and every now-and-then it loses the connection and I have to restart the router. Is there any solution to this problem? I have read that it could be related to my IP Lease Time but could ther be any other causes?

Reply to
djnaab
Loading thread data ...

I am not sure of the exact name (i've had it for a year or so) but it very well could be a Linksys bug or something like that...I dont think its a dhcp release time thing b/c it does it on a unpredictable pattern...it may be fine for 3 days then act up or it may be fine for an hour and act up....keep me posted if you find out anything...

Reply to
Dave

The model is: BEFW11S4 V4

Reply to
Dave

It could be you've got a crappy router. Without further info, it's impossible to tell. As for lease time, your ISP will give you a value. It's your router's responsibility to renew the lease before it expires. It might also be a problem with your arp cache etc. You can use a monitor, such as ethereal, to watch what happens.

Reply to
James Knott

By chance, is it the Linksys WRT54G V5? My sister just picked up one of those and it does the same thing. In her case, it's not related to DHCP lease times so I'm looking for another cause.

Reply to
Bill M.

James Knott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

It also can be a cable modem going bad! I had a similar problem and replaced my router SEVERAL TIMES with diferent vendor types - sill would drop connection especially when transfering large files (well 4meg which means I had a real problem getting microsoft service packs!). Turned out to be the modem - when I replaced it all was just fine (got the 128meg directX update and even a 700meg Linux live CD image).

Reply to
john

I found out with mine that it was a bad capacitor. Check with your manufacturer. Mine was a linksys.

Reply to
Dave

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.