RoadRunner and servers

How does one guy get away with running an online radio server on RoadRunner? Or does RoadRunner allow servers?

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

I'm fairly certain they don't allow it on residential accounts. And their operations folks in long held areas are really on the ball and usually spot such things.

Reply to
DLR

They don't on residential-class accounts and have ports blocked to keep you from operating most any server you'd want to set up.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Well, this guy does it from his residential account, on port 8000 (the port where most MP3 stream servers operate on).

Of course, when I was in college years ago, I operated a web server from my then @Home account, as part of a class assignment to build a Windows NT server, and put up a Web page on the server, and I never heard anything from @Home about it, when I did this. We basically had to check out a hard disk with NT4.0 on it, insert that into our home computers, and set up a live NT4 server, complete with Web page. I know that I never heard anything from Comcast @Home about it when I did this in the year 2001. Of course, my server did not operate on port 80, either, which is probably why I was able to do it, without being nailed by @Home when I did this.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Why is someone posting from Comcast advising others about the practices of Time Warner's Road Runner??????????

I had TWC for years and while I can't speak for certain about port

8000, many ports popularly used for servers were blocked.
Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

There are NO blocked ports on RR in San Diego. OR any other RR area I know of.

Reply to
The Kat

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.