Reistabishing connection

I'd call the Cable company to fix that line. Let them check the modem and replace the cable connectors too. You're paying for the service, so make them fix it.

Meanwhile, make sure that the problem isn't with your software. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, right-click the network connection, properties, and check the box, "Show Icon in notification area when connected", OK.

Now click the Network connection icon on the taskbar, click the "Support" tab, and click the "Repair" button. If that fixed the connection, the problem is NOT the modem.

Download Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for Windows 2k, NT, XP "Wntipcfg.exe" It's just like the "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows98. It beats the hell out of using DOS commands...

formatting link
download:

Run it to "Releasel", then "Renew" your lease. If that fixed the connection, the problem is NOT the modem.

If the only fix is to unplug the modem, it's either the modem or the cable.

Reply to
Unk
Loading thread data ...

I have to remove power (unplug modem/plug back in) often to reestablish my internet connection when I power up my computer. This use to happen every so often but now is becoming almost a daily event. Is this a fault with my modem? The modem is the original purchased through insight a few years back; it is a 3 com unit (looks like a shark fin), model 3CR29223. Also recently the cable company cut my line in the process of providing service to my neighbor. I now have a line laying in my yard and this problem with the modem has increased. Could it be possible that low signal strength could cause this problem? I have added a amplifier but that did not help. Please provide any information that may be of assistance.

Reply to
Tdelsol

That model is getting old and may not support the newer, faster, speeds.

To access it's internal menus and diagnostics, use the address http://3comcablemodem (there is also an internal IP address, but it's oddball compared to newer modems. I used to have one.) Once there, you can find out the up and downlink signal levels. I also remember it had a page giving the up and downlink speed limits, too. You can also turn on/off the connection sounds.

You can find full documentation here (long link wrapped):

formatting link
version:
formatting link

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Reply to
Tdelsol

formatting link
Direct download:

Reply to
Tdelsol

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.