Re: Need router advice

For more than 3 years I had a nice 4 port Linksys router

> that functioned pretty well. The router and cable modem > and two of the connected computers are in one room. At the > end of a fifty foot cable is my son's computer. > Physically, it's only about 20 feet away but the cable has to run under > the floor and around some obstacles. A 25 foot cable comes up inches short. > The old Linksys handled it fine. > > Last Saturday, a big bolt of lightning struck near the house. So far, > the only two things that got fried were my trusty Linksys and one > electric garage door opener. >

: Don't rule out a NIC problem on your : "kid's box". As I've said before, the problem is probably not your router, : not the cable and not the length of the cable. If you're sure the router is : set up right . . . I'm wondering if lightning damaged the NIC when it took : out your trusty linksys router, even though the NIC apparently works if : connected directly to the modem. I've seen stranger. Just a few weeks ago, : I had a *hardware* problem where a proprietary NIC would not work on system : A, but would work on system B. Meanwhile, any other NIC of the exact same : model would work on both systems. Identical NICs, identical systems, NIC A : on System A no good, NIC A on System B good, NIC B on system A good. This : problem had another one of our guys stumped for a week. He was sure the : problem was anywhere BUT the NIC (don't ask) So they sent me in. I : immediately diagnosed it, replaced it, and it's been fine since. Anyway, : just illustrating that a component can test OK for one application and still : be bad for what you really need it to do.

Got back from vacation yesterday and installed a new D-Link NIC as per your suggestion. System came right up and it was a nice teaching moment for the boy - made him do all the hard work. The Linksys card must have been just fried enough that it couldn't work through the router (except sporadically) but could limp through the modem.

So that makes the toll for the storm, one router (dead WAN port), one NIC and the circuit board from the garage door opener.

Good thing it didn't actually hit us!

Thanks for all the help.

Dan Mercer

Reply to
Dan Mercer
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.