Re: Multiple modems, one account

Im getting a similar problem too, im wondering is there any other way of playing online PS2 games without the use of the ethernet plug which wires from the back of PS2 to the router modem or even is there anyway of playing on it without the use of a broadband!?

Warren Wrote:

Licensed to Quill wrote:- > As to your question about what you call registering an additional- > modem with- > your cable company, it is my belief that you can safely ignore the- > last- > posting: There is nothing illegal about it whatsoever.- > > Unlike some cable TV boxes, a cablemodem is not just a box that you > can > configure, and then piggy-back onto the system. You're not just > tapping > into a downstream broadcast. Two-way communication takes place using > TCP/IP. That means the modem needs to be "provisioned" on the system. > > If you put a modem that is not provisioned on the system after it > "ranges" and finds the channel that the downstream and upstream data > channels are using, it will ask the CMTS for an IP address, and > attempt > to download a configuration file. If the modem has not been > provisioned, > depending on the system it will either not be configured, not get an > IP > address, and not work, or it will get a local access configuration > file > which will only allow you to talk to a configuration server. > > If your system is one that uses the local access configuration to talk > to a configuration server, you'll be asked for account information. If > that account is not already being billed for Internet service, you > won't > be able to register and provision the modem. If it is a valid account > being billed for Internet service, the modem that is already > provisioned > on the account is de-provisioned, as only one modem can be provisioned > at a time. > > After this your old modem will continue to work a short period of > time. > Once it's configuration expires, and it attempts to download a new > configuration file from the server, it will only get the local access > config file. Here's where the theft of service comes in. If you > continue > to use both modems concurently, you will then be committing theft of > service, and could be subject to criminal prosecution and civil > damages. > > How will they know? The old modem doesn't just reactivate. It is > provisioned as if it were a new modem on the system. It will appear on > your account twice: As original de-activated modem, and again as a new > modem. There can only be a finite number of modems on your account. > Once > you reach that limit, and then try to re-provision one of the modems > again, it'll deactivate the currently provisioned modem, but since it > will not be able to add the new modem to the account, it will not > provision the new modem. > > If you want your service to work again, you'll have to call customer > service. Even if the agent you speak to on the phone is a complete > idiot, s/he won't be able to remove those old entries. The issue will > be > escalated to someone who will look closer at the times and dates. If > all > the times are within a few hours, they may assume you just had > problems > getting your new modem up. If the dates are more or less evenly spaced > x-number of days apart, they can then check to see if both modems were > used concurently over that period of time. At that point you're > caught. > > - > I just checked with > the company last week. They will just want to charge you for a whole > additional service for it. (There might be a slight discount for an > additional modem). (I am at the moment trying to find a legal way- > around- > this with a service I am paying for, - see other posting)- > > One account = one modem. Two modems = two accounts. > > Cable accounts, like other utilities connected to buildings, are tied > to > GIS databases. Depending on the specific software your cable company > is > using, and how they've configured it, you may not even be able to have > a > second account associated with the same dwelling. But if you can, the > accounts will be billed separately. Unlike multiple service discounts > on > the same account that can be automatically disabled if you no longer > have the qualifying services, the two accounts wouldn't be tied > together. It is doubtful that the cable company would give you a > discount on the second account if you could then turn around and > cancel > service to the first account without affecting the billing of the > second > account. (BTW... If they did allow this to happen, it would also be > theft because you'd be getting service at a discount that you don't > qualify for, and you not informing them at the time you canceled the > first account could be interpreted as intent.) > > > -- > Warren H. > > ========== > Disclaimer: My views reflect those of myself, and not my > employer, my friends, nor (as she often tells me) my wife. > Any resemblance to the views of anybody living or dead is > coincidental. No animals were hurt in the writing of this > response -- unless you count my dog who desperately wants > to go outside now. > Blatant Plug: Do your Christmas Shopping Online >
formatting link
Reply to
Tyson
Loading thread data ...

| | Im getting a similar problem too, im wondering is there any other way of | playing online PS2 games without the use of the ethernet plug which | wires from the back of PS2 to the router modem or even is there anyway | of playing on it without the use of a broadband!?

Using a Router is the *best* way to share the one WAN address. It can then be any TCP/IP complaint device.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.